Published course does not work when run from network

So, this is a little weird.. I have tried it a couple of times just to make sure I am not missing anything out but the issue persists. Anyways, here's the scenario:

You publish the course using LMS or CD (this happens for both.. I haven't tried the other options). The destination folder is on your local computer and they work as expected.

You copy the OUTPUT folders on to a network location but when you launch the story from the network.. suddenly i'ts not working - specifically the slides that had the TRY MODE video. All the hotspots are not responding to the set triggers. The course I developed, intentionally restricted the navigation so that the only way to move on to the next set of slides is for them to click on the correct part of the screen (hotspot) but it's stuck.

It's the weirdest thing.. I tried re-publishing at least 5 times and it works when run locally but does not when you run it from the network? Has anyone noticed this?

Also.. when you are using long file names and the network path to the designated folder is long.. it will either NOT publish or publish but with missing components. Is this something that will be improved?

Thanks guys! I would like to hear from anyone who's experienced the same thing.

3 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Donna! Welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

Launching content from network sources is known to cause issues. It's best to work on your local drive.

Here's some more information:

If you are experiencing unexpected issues using Articulate software, here are some tips for managing your files which can help prevent issues.

1.  Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 

2. You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).

3.  Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

With the problem you're experiencing regarding the long file name, you may want to try shortening it to see if it publishes correctly.

Donna Morvan

Hi Christine,

Thanks for responding.

I have a quick clarification though. I am working locally from my PC and publish it locally too.

The problem is when I go to copy the (published) output folder to the network. it copies fine.. but when you launch the story.. it's not working :/

This is mind boggling!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Donna,

Right, there won't be an issue with copying the content, it's launching the content from the network drive that's causing the issues. Adobe has some information about this, as well. Click here to take a look. This will explain why the story isn't playing properly.

Published content should be uploaded to a web server or LMS for proper playback. If you'll be viewing content on your local hard drive, you should publish to CD.

Sorry for the frustration, I hope you're able to find a method that works better for your course playback.

Thanks!