Responsive Design

Aug 08, 2017

Hi Folks,

I want to share something with you. I want to tell you what I think about Storyline. First things first, I am a well-wisher of Articulate and I have been working on it since 2012 (from its initial days). I am sure that people or your customers must be awaiting for a fully responsive design version from Articulate. As per my past experience with Storyline, I know you have an intelligent coder team who can easily tackle this problem/situation.

Please don’t delay publishing a newer, fully responsive version of Storyline, because competitors must be looking at this as an opportunity to capture the market, and we never know if someone is coming with the solution. I regret to mention that you will lose your value in the market as well as your existing customers. So, don’t allow anyone to lead the market because no one announces their next move. Or in layman’s language, you will be the next Nokia (Nokia made a blunder by being very myopic and complacent about its achievements and didn’t envision the competition, radical innovations, and high-end technology coming its way, which certainly had the potential to dethrone from its place. This was one of the major reasons Nokia lost its market share.) And as per my knowledge, you’re on the same track. I am more than happy if I am wrong.

So, I request your entire team not to wait for too long to plan and implement new innovations. You can increase the price of your product sharply, if you wish. The steep price will not stop people from buying your product, but any stagnation in technology from your side will encourage people to start looking for better, newer technologies.

13 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Praxeen,

Thanks for sharing your insight here. Our team looked at a number of the responsive design authoring tools on the market and chose to create the new fully responsive player that you'll see as a part of Articulate 360 and Storyline 3. This article has some good FAQs about that set up, and specifically titled "How does Articulate's responsive player compare to Adobe Captivate's responsive authoring?"

With Articulate 360, we also created a brand new tool - Rise.  Rise courses are fully responsive. You build a Rise course once, and it'll fit each computer, tablet, and smartphone perfectly.

Rise courses automatically adapt to every screen and orientation. 

If you're curious about how this will look in Rise, take a look at these video introductions to learn more:

Praveen Dixit

Thank you Guys,

I think authoring developers from all over the corners should use this blog and express there requirement about responsive features (It should not only be device agnostic but also should be device orientation responsive). So that the articulate team can understand the intensity and can provide a quick solutions ASAP.

We'd love to get some more feedback about your needs with authoring responsive courses and how your content is working in other tools. If you take a look at the Storyline responsive player FAQ - you'll see this piece about Storyline compared to Captivate:

Captivate’s responsive solution requires course authors to tweak slides for every device learners use, which is difficult, tedious, and cumbersome. You end up building the same course over and over.

In contrast, our responsive player doesn’t require any extra work. We believe technology, not course authors, should do the heavy lifting. So you just build your course like you normally would and publish. The responsive player optimizes the experience for every device your learners use. In short, you don’t do a thing—a dramatic contrast to Adobe’s approach.

Rise was designed to be truly responsive and allow for web based authoring of interactive courses. Since it's release we've been increasingly adding new features to further that goal, and you may want to review the Rise Version history

Knut Jackowski

Actually I disagree with the notion that Storyline should become fully responsive, because it does not make sense.

The beauty of Storyline is easy content creation. Responsive Design is not something that you can simple automate, so you would be left with two options:

1. Going the way Ashleys quote indicates for Captivate, where you have to think through and build the different variations of your course based on screen size, screen orientation etc. which will be a lot of additional work, that goes against the idea of easy content creation. So Storyline would loose the main competetive edge it has above Captivate: ease of use.
  2. Restricting the freedom of content creators by coercing them into predifined responsive designs, where it is possible to change the content but not the overall design. I do not think that any Storyline user would want that for Storyline. It is possible to use this approach for elearning courses, but the tool that does this already exists: Rise. Of course, you cannot do everything that you can do with Storyline with Rise, but that is necessary to have a tool that automatically generates responsive courses.

So in short: Storyline is about having great creative freedom coupled with ease of use. I do not see a way to become much more responsive than 360 or 3 are now without sacrificing one of these two defining features.

Praveen Dixit

Does it mean 360 and 3 are the last versions of Storyline and after that no enhanced and improvement will happen in it? And as per market they doesn't want to change?

If it's happen, like I did mentioned they will be next Noika. And we will find another solution and going along with them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Phil Mayor

Responsive content in a slide based environment is a lot of work as a developer. You can achieve this in other applications using layouts, break points. Although these apps such as Hype, Captivate, Lectora etc all try and make the process easier there is at the moment always a trade off between usability and design. A lot of time you end up having to use an almost templated approach which for me is against the principles of a blank canvas authoring tool.

I like the approach of Rise and Adapt where the content is truly responsive and changes based on the device, and hope they the complexity of the interactions for these tools will increase.

I like the steps Storyline is making for multi-device learning, I would like to see a more responsive framework if possible, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the content creation side of the tool to be able to produce responsive content.

Consider this, last year I produced a 100+ slide responsive course with 4 break points, I had a last minute change forced on me by the client and I had to edit all 400 layouts individually to accommodate it, this is hard work for the developer and not fair on the end client who has to pay for this.

Hi Praveen, 

Storyline 360 will continue to have improvements included in addition to bug fixes. As a part of the subscription set up, those fixes are available as soon as possible and we've had a fairly regular schedule that you can review in the version history here.

Storyline 3 will also continue to be supported and receive updates, although they'll be less frequent. 

One of the benefits of Articulate 360 is that you have access to all the authoring tools - so you can choose the right tool for the job, or for your specific needs. I know choosing between Rise and Storyline has come up a lot, so it may help to read about how the Pros are deciding which tool fits for which project. 

Let us know if you have any other questions! 

Knut Jackowski
Praveen Dixit

Does it mean 360 and 3 are the last versions of Storyline and after that no enhanced and improvement will happen in it? 

I certainly hope not. But since the reasons for me and possibly for many others to use Storyline is this combination of easy of use combined with creative freedom, an improvement, that would require to reduce one of these two attributes, would not really be an improvement at all.

There is a lot of room for improvement in many directions (for example relative simple sounding things like including the closed captions into the export/import for translation or real rotating animations or getting rid of Flash also for the authoring tool), without having to make one or the other sacrifice.

360 on the other hand seems to me to be a good tool for more experimental innovations: because it is not only Storyline, but a complete suite of tools, the developers from Articulate are free to bring new tools into our hands without changing one of the existing ones beyond recognition. Rise is a good example of this: it is built around the idea of responsive online learning with a simple beginning, that like you said, it more like a blog, but as Ashley mentioned is getting more feature rich and interactive with time.

In this it gives me hope that Articulate is on a good path of innovation, especially considering, that elearning is a field where you always have to consider not only new trends and technologies, but also very old ones (many learning management systems, that are in use today, still do not support SCORM 2004, only SCORM 1.2 for example).

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.