Restricted Navigation in Storyline

Oct 21, 2020

Hi All,

This is the first time I am trying to use restricted navigation in Storyline. The course that I am working on is 16 slides long. Every slide has a video that the users have to watch mandatory. The goal is to make sure they are unable to skip through the recording or advance the slide (in build next button). The next button should be enabled on after watching the entire slide.. So far, I have been able to successfully restrict the navigation on menu on the left but I am having trouble selecting the right variable, triggers and condition for what I plan to achieve. I have tried to follow these instructions but still no luck. Can someone please help me. I have to turn this project in tomorrow.

https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-disable-the-next-button-until-users-finish-interacting-with-a-slide

Many Thanks.

6 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Manisha,

You don't need to use any triggers or conditions to achieve what you want. All you need to do is set the Menu to Restricted navigation in the player. It sounds like you already did that. 

With Restricted navigation, the Next button will automatically be disabled until the slide's timeline ends. So if there's a video on the timeline, the Next button won't enable until the video is done playing. Also, the program automatically knows that it should only disable the Next button the first time the user views the slide. If they return to a previously completed slide, the Next button won't be disabled again. 

Daniel King

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the quick response. I took off the triggers in the first two slides while restricting the menu navigation in the player. On testing, the video which is a minute long ended but the next button doesn't work. Attached is the menu setting. Wondering if I am making wrong selection. 

Also,  double checking, does this mean every slide won't have any additional triggers for next and previous buttons?

Thanks for your time in helping me troubleshoot this.

-Manisha

Judy Nollet

Hi again, Manisha,

When you set the Player Menu to Restricted, it applies to all slides. Based on the image, you made the correct selection for this function. Thus, none of your slides need extra triggers to control the Next button. (Those would be needed if you wanted to ensure users completed an interaction.) 

Without seeing the Storyline file, it's hard to figure out why the restricted navigation isn't working properly on the slide with the 1-minute video. My only suggestion at this point is to check to be sure the timeline doesn't extend beyond the length of the video. If it does, pull the timeline back so it ends when the video does. (The program enables the Next button based on the timeline ending, not the media.)  If that doesn't work, then you'll need to upload your Storyline file for troubleshooting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.