Results Slide

Aug 22, 2023

Hello, I've just created a results slide, but I don't know how to do if I want the person who's taking the test and failed, that he can only retry the test once and not as many time as he wants. 

1 Reply
Judy Nollet

Since you only want the person to retry the test once, you can use a T/F variable to track whether they did that.

• Create a T/F variable with a default value of False. In my example below, I called this variable "retried." 
  • Add a trigger to the Retry button that adjust the value of the variable to True.
    • Move this trigger so it appears before the trigger that jumps to another slide. Otherwise, it won't run.
  • Add a trigger to the Results slide's Failure layer that changes the state of the Retry button to Hidden when the timeline starts, with the condition that the variable = True.
    • This trigger will run if the user retries the quiz and fails again. Thus, they won't be able to retry the quiz again, because the button will be hidden.

Note: For allowing more than one retry, you can use the same basic programming. But instead of a T/F variable, use a number variable. In that case, the trigger on the Retry button should add 1 to the variable. And the condition for hiding the Retry button would check whether the variable was more than the number of attempts you want to allow. 

Other things to be aware of: 

• If the user can't retake the test until they pass, they can't complete the course. What happens at that point is based on how your LMS is set up. For example, the course might be marked as incomplete, and someone on the LMS team might have to reset the course to allow the user to start it from the beginning.
    • You'll have to work with your LMS team to decide how to handle this. 
    • The Failure layer should also add a message to the user that tells them what they need to do after failing the quiz twice. This message could be programmed so it only shows if they fail the quiz twice. 
  • If you allow a user to exit and then resume the course from the start, that resets everything, and they could take the test again and again. To prevent that, you have to go the Player Properties, and set the course to Always Resume.

It's worth the time to learn about conditions and variables, because they provide the real power in Storyline. Here are the User Guide articles: