Scroll bar help for web object Storyline 360

Nov 11, 2016

My google form in a web object will not scroll on iphone although it does on a computer - even using two fingers. ideas?

10 Replies
Robin Wooten

My ignorance shows here too, Alyssa - I don't know what IOS it is - I am testing it on a new iphone 7 with latest update. Here is my file - the google form is on slide 2 and the rest of the story is... ahem... under construction as I have been playing with 360. [Also - I just changed the display size and haven't adjusted slides to it yet].

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Robin,

Not a problem! Here are instructions for finding what iOS version you have installed on your iPhone. Since you say that it's a new iPhone with the latest update, I'm guessing it's iOS 10.1.1.

Thanks for sharing your file with me. I did some testing on my end and confirmed the behavior you described. I have shared this issue with our Quality Assurance team, and although I cannot provide a timeframe for a solution, I will certainly add updated information to this thread as details become available.

Robin Wooten

It is 10.1.1, Thank you for looking into this. Right now, I get a lot of info from embedded google forms - including course completion and feedback that I use to adjust the class instruction so I hope this issue is resolved soon. Until then, students will not be able to use a phone. I know that sounds inconsequential but some do not have ipads or computers at home which is why 360 is so attractive. I wonder - is this just google forms or do other web pages act this way? Thanks for planning to keep me updated, Alyssa - I appreciate it.

Alyssa Gomez

In testing your file, we found that we were able to see the entire form and fill it out, so in this case scrolling wasn't needed. However, if the user tries to zoom in on the form, then they will need to scroll down, which will not work. 

I have not heard of this issue with other web pages, but we can certainly confirm that through testing. 

Robin Wooten

Alyssa, I thank you for looking into this but am confused.  The google form looks fine and scrolls fine (without using the scroll bar) on my phone when used directly from google but not within Storyline. Did you say you replicated this problem? Is this a problem that is going to have action to be solved as implied in your first response? Or none planned? It seems the answer changed so I am not sure what to expect. Sorry to be a pest - but this is my only means of getting course completion data so it is vital to me. Would you mind clarifying your answer for me?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Robin, it's no problem at all! I completely understand. We had 3 different people test your course on an iPhone, and all testers were able to see the form sitting on the Storyline slide. They could all see the entire form so no scrolling was needed, but the text on the form was very small. When the testers zoomed in on the form to make the text larger, then they confirmed that the form did not scroll up or down.

This is certainly an issue, since the form cannot be used without scrolling. I have reported the issue to our Quality Assurance team, but unfortunately I can't say at this time when the issue will be resolved.

Are you using an LMS to share this course with your users? If so, perhaps you could consider using built-in quiz questions to gather this data to be communicated to the LMS.

Robin Wooten

I am a volunteer teacher so that is why this is such an issue - I will have to pay for Storyline 360 out of my own pocket (if I can gather the funds) and the possibility of also being able to afford an LMS is pretty non-existent. I am on anther thread trying to find no-cost options but haven't found a solution so far that is a  possibility with my level of tech knowledge (none). My volume of students exceeds other free survey options so google forms is my only option. So thanks and I wish Godspeed to your QA team.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.