Scrollpanel, text entry, extra space, all browers (SL 360)

Oct 16, 2019

Hey folks

I've come across an issue with SL 360. When using scroll panel that contain multiple items, but specifically have text and text entry boxes included (these are shown as essay style), there appears to be extra space added at the bottom of the panel. I have other slides with multiple items, including those listed above, but the text entry is just a single line of text rather than essay style, but this doesn't have any issues, or extra space. Please see screenshots attached.

I've been reading about how this was an issue with IE/edge, but this appears no matter which browser, and/or in preview too. I tend to use firefox, and it still appears, as it does in Chrome, and edge. I found a discussion that had some JS code to correct this from a few months back (I believe it was where large text paragraphs added extra space), but this doesn't resolve the issue, if anything, it only removes the scroll, and stops users' from accessing the content in the lower part of the scroll panel. I've tried adding empty text boxes, or other objects after the last essay entry box, but this hasn't helped at all. I'm using the most up-to-date version of SL360 (v3.32.20313.0), so any fixes that may have been applied, does not appear to resolve this issue.

Anyone else come across this issue before? The alternate is not using scroll panels, but, I have too much content per slide, on some slides and they wouldn't display correctly, especially those that have text entry (essay) fields, nor could these be used on a layer. Is there anything else that could handle these types of slides? Or have a suitable work-around so this doesn't keep happening?

7 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Blue!

Thanks for sharing those screenshots! I see what you're talking about. 

Would you mind if I take a look at your file to see why the scrolling panel has an extra space?

You can do so by using the "add attachment" button in this discussion. Or you can share the file privately with our Support Engineers by using this link.

Ren Gomez

Hi Blue,

Thanks so much for sharing the file! Sorry you're running into this issue, it looks like you've hit a bug. We have reported it to our team, and continue to keep an eye on it to evaluate how many customers are impacted and what impact it has on courses.

I noticed that when you had additional text below a text entry field, the extra space wasn't there. I've opened a case on your behalf for some further testing to see if we can offer some suggestions. Be on the lookout for a response! 

Blue Kearsley

Thanks Ren, yes, that's what I found too, and tried to replicate that to reduce the issue. However I found that this didn't help on essay boxes. I have had a response from the support team, and will await their response on what bug/s have been found, and possible resolutions. It's odd that this doesn't happen on all slides where the last item is text entry. Equally odd that this doesn't happen when text is the last item. Very odd indeed!

Becca Levan

Hello Blue and Kristen!

I'm happy to return with an update for you—we've fixed the issue you experienced: 

• Extra space below text entry field in the scrolling panel.

Be sure to install the latest Storyline 360 update (Build 3.50.24668.0) to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes.

If this happens again, please let us know! Or you can work directly with our support engineers here.