Selectable Text in SL360 Courses? (Can do in Rise360...)

Mar 06, 2023

Hello,

I have a co-worker who needs the text in the courses they're taking to be selectable, for an accessibility tool they are using. It made me wonder about ADA/508 compliance of the many hundreds of courses we have in our LMS.

I see that text in Rise360 courses is selectable, but our workflow uses Stroyline360 almost exclusively, we have little experience with Rise360.

I understand SL360 "blocks" can be added to Rise360 courses, but the team would prefer to find a solution that doesn't require publishing out to Rise.

Is there a way to present selectable text for the user in SL360?

9 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Fred, 

Thanks for reaching out!

There isn't a way to make text selectable in Storyline 360. You can check out these discussions that cover a need for copying text to see how other members of the community tackled a similar requirement:

Fred Good

Thanks for the links! Well, there's a great argument for those people advocating for Rise360! :) I'll try the attachment thing, as the fragility of the coding option doesn't appeal to us. 

I'm even considering publishing as Word, saving as PDF and adding that to the Resources tabs of ALL my courses as a default process. I could add a bit near the title slide that alerts those users who need selectable text to get it there... that would suffice, I think...

Fred Good
From my co-worker:
---
Some users may find it difficult to read blocks of text and therefore may rely on an assistive technology such as what's the "Speak Selection" tool that's built into the mac operating system to have their computer read the text out loud. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/have-your-mac-speak-text-thats-on-the-screen-mh27448/mac
Have your Mac speak text that’s on the screen
support.apple.com
Tools like this require the ability to select text.

Once text is selected (highlighted), then I can use a keyboard command to have it read out loud.
---

Fred Good

Hi Phil, he says it's not working in VoiceOver either. I think we'll just have to put a bug somewhere around the title slide that links to a Word or PDF version of the course for people using the same method he is. Not a huge problem, but not by any means graceful. My ultimate goal was to make the experience as similar as possible for ALL users. I feel if there is even just one employee who has to jump through hoops to get the same content/experience, I need to do all I can to help make it better for them. 
Thanks for your input and help! :)

Phil Mayor

Voice over is a supported accessibility tool. They will need to tab into the storyline block and then use the down arrow if that isn’t working for them you can raise a support case. You will need to set the focus order in the SL block to give a good experience.

My first thought when I read the post was why are they using that tool, however my second thought was similar to your we shouldn’t be specifying the tool, it should just work.

Sent from my iPhone