SL 360 Audio Editor Jumps When Selecting Waveform

Nov 13, 2017

Hello all,

I've been having an issue with the audio editor. When I try to highlight part of the waveform and delete a bit, the index point jumps to someplace else. This makes the editor very difficult to use. I spend a lot of time trying to find where I am along the timeline both before and after I--finally--make a cut. I was hoping not to have to take the extra time to export, edit in another program, reimport, etc. but it is turning out to be the faster choice.

Does anyone know how to stop this behavior?

I've included a short screen vid.

--Allen

Pinned Reply
Steven Benassi

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share some great news! We are no longer seeing this bug that caused the audio play head to jump view when using the space bar to toggle audio while in zoom mode.

Please make sure that you are using the current version of Storyline 360 (3.72.29699.0).

To confirm or update your version of Storyline 360:

• Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your Windows machine.
  • Click the drop-down arrow next to Storyline 360 and select Other Versions.
  • Here you will see the current version being used, or have the option to update.

Please let us know if you're still encountering the issue and we'd be happy to continue troubleshooting with you in a support case.

17 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Allen,

We just released another update for Storyline 360 today, and it includes a fix for the Audio Editor and waveform synchronization. 

If you haven't already, click the Update button for each application in the Desktop App, and open Storyline 360 again. 

Let me know if you're still having this problem after updating!

David Cook

Just a note that this behavior is still happening post-update. It's still very frustrating, and it has happened for me in Storyline 2 and in 360, for a very long time, on multiple machines. It happened all the way back in 2013, and it's still happening in 2017. I just export audio now because I can't select anything accurately in Storyline's waveform editor. The editing point jumps around every third or fourth time I click.

Ian Ivey

I have this issue in the audio editor in every audio file I edit, across multiple machines. It is 100% repeatable and not dependent on the file type, size, or configuration. 

After pausing with the spacebar, if you click behind the cursor (a most common behavior because you've just passed the spot you want to edit), the system jumps the cursor to a location ahead of its current location, and it seems to have some relationship to the location of the left side of the window. There's a programmed behavior that seems designed to shift the viewing window so that the cursor is close to the left side. 

It also shifts the window WITHOUT moving the cursor if you mouse over the scrubber bar at the bottom. The two behaviors are clearly related, and it seems as though the cursor jump occurs because the system shifts the window before placing the cursor, and since it's shifting the content toward the left side of the window, it places the cursor at the point that lands where you click.

Sound removed to protect proprietary information, but the behavior is still easy to see:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/58ef587f-a1b8-4b47-8433-46b2a83912ad/review

Lindsey Shepard

Having this same issue - it is incredibly time consuming and frustrating! Seems like it just started doing this in the last week or so, as I've been in heavy development mode and using Storyline for many hours every day for the last several weeks, and have just now noticed it. Grrr! If anyone has a workaround, please share! 

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks, Ian. That does look similar to the original issue which we show as resolved in Update 10.

Ian and Lindsay - Do you know what version of Storyline you're using?

You can check by going to:
Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.29.19305.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

If you're on the latest, with your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, everyone!

I'm excited to share that we fixed the issue where the audio playhead would jump to a different position in the audio editor. Here's how to update Storyline 360 to see all the recent enhancements and fixes.

If the problem reappears, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me and I'll be happy to help!

Rob Skeet

I stopped using the editor years back because of this very frustrating bug. I would go to the source file, edit it in Audition then replace the file. a long process but still faster than dealing with this jumping cursor.
Today I wanted to just make a quick edit and thought I could suck it up and use the editor. sadly it still acts they way it has always done. you zoom in on a waveform and click where you want to start an edit and it jumps somewhere else and you have to zoom out and play it again to find where you are.  I messed around for about 20 mins then gave up and went on the blogs to see this post that dates back 3 years. I have the latest version (Always update) not sure what was fixed but it certainly wasn't this.  sorry guys.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Rob!

I'm sorry for all of this trouble! I am on Storyline 360 Update 44 (Build 3.44.23192.0), and I do not see the same error you've shared. You can see in this video that I'm using the Play/Pause button in the Audio Editor. I don't see the Playhead jumping forward.

Do you mind sharing a screen recording of what you see on your end? I'll make sure we update our report if this is a regression. 

Support.com - Austin

Hi Lauren and Rob,

I think I found the issue Rob is referring to with the jumping playhead. I too came looking to the forums for answers. It's related to using the space bar to play and pause audio that causes the playhead to jump.

I made a short 1 minute recording of the issue below 

Lauren Connelly

Hello Dakota!

Your video was beneficial! I appreciate you taking the time to record that. We still have this bug logged with our team. To help you plan, we have already prioritized bug fixes for upcoming releases, so we don't have immediate plans to release a fix in our upcoming updates. When this makes it on our roadmap, I'll be sure to update you all in this discussion!

Steven Benassi

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share some great news! We are no longer seeing this bug that caused the audio play head to jump view when using the space bar to toggle audio while in zoom mode.

Please make sure that you are using the current version of Storyline 360 (3.72.29699.0).

To confirm or update your version of Storyline 360:

• Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your Windows machine.
  • Click the drop-down arrow next to Storyline 360 and select Other Versions.
  • Here you will see the current version being used, or have the option to update.

Please let us know if you're still encountering the issue and we'd be happy to continue troubleshooting with you in a support case.