SL 360 - Zoom Regions in Video

Mar 24, 2019

The Zoom Region feature is especially helpful in software demonstrations, since the "base video" is usually full-screen, and the on-screen text can be daunting to read without magnification.

Using Storyline 360's Screen Capture feature, I can play and pause the resultant video and easily insert Zoom Regions as needed.

However, I'm going to have to work with an MP4 video -- a screen recording done by a client.

When I insert the MP4 in Storyline 360, I can play the video on-screen, but when I come to a point where I want to add a Zoom Region and click pause, the on-screen view reverts to the beginning of the video, while the playhead remains at the point at which I paused. When clicking play again, the video starts at the beginning instead of resuming from the position of the playhead.

Obviously, this scenario makes it hard (impossible??) to add Zoom Regions to imported MP4 videos.

So, what's the difference between video captured by Storyline and an MP4 video? Is there a solution?

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting us know what's going on, and we're seeing the same problem. The playhead doesn't show the correct frame in the video when pausing the timeline. Instead it displays the first frame of the video.

I'm really sorry you ran into this issue. If I get any new information on this bug, I'll be sure to pass it along to you.

Crystal Horn

Hey Dave. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 27 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and bug fixes. Here are all the details.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where the timeline preview wasn't showing the right video frame when moving the playhead.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.