SL360 - LMS timeout issue

Apr 15, 2020

I have searched the forums but have only found solutions relating to SL2 and Flash output, so I am reaching out again.

We have an issue that our LMS times out after 60 minutes of "inactivity" and we have two courses that both take longer than that to complete and only have a "completion" trigger on the very final slide of one of the modules contained in each course.

Is there a way to send a "keep alive" message to the LMS while the learner goes through each course?

This is specifically for Storyline 360 and for HTML5 output only.

Please can someone let me know if this is a feature in SL360 or if something can be done with bookmarking settings to keep the session in the LMS alive?
Currently our learners only discover the LMS has timed out when they reach the end and the screen that should send "completion" to the LMS just buffers forever and this is hugely frustrating.

Thank you!

2 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Lauren and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for contacting us and sharing what you are experiencing.

Storyline 360 will send a keep-alive message to the LMS every 10 minutes by default, and this keep-alive message includes Suspend Data that will help the LMS recover from a learner's session that suspended for any reason.  A great way to verify that this keep-alive message is happening is to enable LMS Debug Mode so that you can watch the communication flowing across the wire.

LMS Debug Mode

Storyline does not set a timeout limit. The LMS would control any timeouts.

If you're seeing something different in your debug mode and need us to take a look, please work directly with a support engineer here.

Lauren Sims

Thank you, Leslie, for the reply. This is very helpful to know.

We have since found out that the issue is with the LMS API and how it handles the keep-alive message from SL, essentially miscalculating the Total Time, which is causing the session timeouts to occur.
I don't believe there is anything we can do about this within Storyline and we will have to leave it to the LMS developers to fix.

But still good to know that SL 360 still has sensible keep-alive messages incorporated.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.