Slides Inheriting Template/Layout Attributes

Jul 15, 2015

I am having a devil of a time with creating new slides, specifically with text boxes. I created a new .storytemplate file with the template look/feel I want. I inserted new layouts as indicated by the tutorial. I set my fonts as indicated by tutorials. When I create new slides using the layouts, the fonts are wrong and they don't inherit the default bullet look/feel I specified for the layout. When I go to master view, the layout is correct. When I create a new slide, it's not.

Example: In the View Master Slides, the "Title and Text" layout puts a gray round bullet when I use the "bullet" button and the text is Font A. When I create a new slide, it uses Font B and the bullet is square and red.

Any ideas?


10 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Michel -- Sorry to hear of the issues you are encountering, but there are a few things we can try first to rule out the cause of some common errors. Please make sure you are working locally as described here, and you may want to try importing the file into a new file. If you are still having issues, you might want to try to repair Storyline. Also, could you please ensure that you are utilizing the most recent SL2 Update? Info on Update 5 can be found here

Please let us know if issues persist, and we can explore further. You would also be welcome to share your file here and we can take a closer look for you. 

Michel Gilbert

I am working locally, have tried importing into a fresh file, have repaired storyline, and am using the latest update. File attached. I have deleted all but the title slide due to an NDA. However, if you try creating a new slide from any of the template pages, I think you will see what I mean.

Also - I have noticed when I start a NEW (from scratch) file, in the slide master view - when I change the master (at the top), the attributes are not all inherited by the dependent layouts. If I create a new layout, it is iffy if it will inherit.

Christie Pollick

HI, Michel -- After doing some testing and reviewing your file, I was able to see the behavior you are describing, but unfortunately, I was unable to nail down the cause of the issue. So, in the interest of getting you the assistance you need in a timely fashion, I have submitted a ticket on your behalf with our Support Engineers (00604243). You should be contacted via email shortly. 

Michel Gilbert

I went back to basics and created a new template from scratch. It did not have the problems. I think the file I was using was corrupted by PowerPoint imports. I have found that, if I import anything from PowerPoint, my Storyline file then begins to behave arbitrarily wonky (technical term). I've stopped importing anything from PPT.

Christie Pollick

Hi, Michel -- thank you for the update, and I see that Robert on our Support team reached out via email on 7/17/15 -- did you still want him to take a look at your file to see where the issue may be occurring while importing from PPT? If so, please reply to the email he sent, or if you would prefer, I can let him know that you found your own workaround, and I can close the ticket if you wish. 

Walt Hamilton

As much as possible, I don't ever create new slides. When I have one that is right, I duplicate it. I also do not create new presentations if I can help it. We create a lot of short presentations with the same look and feel (corporate branding). For a new presentation, I do a save as... with the latest, and everything but the content is there, without spending any time on  fonts, sizes, or colors. I do have a variety of layouts that have differing color backgrounds.

Michel Gilbert

Christie - I'm afraid I missed that email. I've been chasing my tail for a month or so now. Right now I appear to be all set, so you can close the ticket. As for "not creating new slides," I'm afraid that's not much of an option for me. I have created base templates, and I do slide reuse slides as much as possible - but there is a significant amount of unique content that requires unique animations, art, and interactions. I probably reuse (100%) about 10% of my slides. I can leverage established formats for another 30-40%. That leaves 50-60% that are scratch development from one of the layouts. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.