Still no 64-bit Storyline 360 in 2023??

Aug 16, 2023

We're evaluating S360 for a project later this year and are generally very happy with capabilities, however one big issue keeps coming up that may be a deal breaker and force us to go in a different direction. Video publishing output is painfully slow even on cutting edge systems in our lab - 13300k CPUs with RAID NVME drives, 128gb RAM, 4090 GPUs, etc. Even free video editing software will publish far more complex/demanding video in a fraction of the time it takes S360 to publish a pretty simple 5-minute video. 

It appears Storyline is still a 32-bit application, even in 2023? I recall this was on the expected updates list a decade ago. So, what's the reality? Is there a hidden 64-bit version that can be downloaded, or is this actually the current state of dev?

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share that today, we just shipped 64-bit Storyline 360!

To use 64-bit Storyline 360, make sure to update your Articulate 360 desktop app, then click the Install button next to the Storyline 360 app with the 64-bit and beta labels. The Install button will change to an Open button when the installation is complete.

Since this version is in beta, we'd love for you to test it out and share your feedback and experience with us by replying to this discussion.

12 Replies
Vojtech Bellus

It's great that you're working on 64-bit Storyline 360, but you should have started much, much earlier. It is a big risk on your part that the 64-bit version is not yet in production at the end of 2023. The competition already has 64-bit versions and they are already starting to implement AI, but in Storyline 360 we are still in the "past" with the 32-bit version. Storyline 360 is an excellent application for creating e-learning solutions, but ... it lags behind significantly in speed. I have a high-performance PC with a fast processor, SSD drives and 64 GB of RAM, but this does not help me at all when using Storyline, especially when I often work in creating content with videos, that is, I embed videos in courses. Publication is then punishable. Like most colleagues, I firmly believe and hope that the 2023/2024 subscription will not be my last and that I will soon hear the happy information about the deployment of the 64-bit version.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer
Lauren Connelly

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share that today, we just shipped 64-bit Storyline 360!

To use 64-bit Storyline 360, make sure to update your Articulate 360 desktop app, then click the Install button next to the Storyline 360 app with the 64-bit and beta labels. The Install button will change to an Open button when the installation is complete.

Since this version is in beta, we'd love for you to test it out and share your feedback and experience with us by replying to this discussion.

Vojtech Bellus

hi everyone

Thanks for the information about the release of Articulate Storyline 360 64bit. I immediately installed it and did the first comparison test with the original 32bit version. I published a small course with four slides, but within one there was a video with a length of about 21 minutes and the "Adaptive" functionality was set when publishing. The 32-bit version reached Review 360 in 5 minutes and 23 seconds, and the 64-bit version in 5 minutes and 16 seconds. I admit that I expected a much bigger difference. But maybe I'm just testing wrong. I am therefore asking you for information on how I can test the real increase in efficiency with the 64 bit version. Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Eric Santos

Thanks for sharing your test results here, Vojtech! Your test procedure is spot on, and you are seeing accurate figures on the improvement with 64-bit. The figures will probably be relatively negligible as far as performance goes for most uses of Storyline.

The chief advantage that 64-bit Storyline will give us is the ability to use more than 2 GB of memory. This should lead to far fewer "Out of Memory Exceptions" when users are working on large projects.

Please let me know if you have any questions!