Storyline 3 course published as HTML 5 only but includes one .swf file

Apr 02, 2019

I am currently updating all our courses to S/L 3 and publishing as HTML5 only. But when I upload the SCORM package to our LMS, I get the following message

"This content is not supported! The content package you just uploaded contains Adobe Flash files. Adobe has already announced the end-of-life (EOL) for Flash and many browsers are already blocking or removing Flash compatibility and support. We recommend removing this content and republishing it to HTML5. "

The only offending file in the package is a single .swf file. It is our logo which (I'm guessing) is from our logo in the player and that is just brought in as a .png file. It appears in the "mobile" folder along with a .png of the logo. Is there a way to not have that published as a .swf?

21 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Andy,

Our team is looking into that bug currently, and we're also working to remove all Flash dependencies from Storyline later this year. 

You can safely delete the SWF file from your published output as a workaround in the meantime. 

Out of curiosity, can you tell me what LMS you're using? I haven't heard of that messages in an LMS yet, so I'd love to know! 

Michelle Gallen

Hi,

A file I'm working on also has a .swf included in the HTML5 only output, which prevents it from being uploaded to the LMS.

I've pinpointed the issue to a .mp4 video which the lesson needs - I can't delete it.

My published output does NOT work if I remove the .swf from the folder.

What is the suggested fix in this case?

NOTE: I've spent a LOT of time troubleshooting this bug. How far up your 'fix list' does it come in terms of priority?

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Michelle and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are running into with your HTML5 output.

The issue above is specific to a logo, and it sounds like you've narrowed yours down to an .mp4 video.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Kimberly Valliere

I'm having and have had the very same issue as Michelle. SL3 randomly throws a .swf file into published output when publishing as html5 only and there's a video present (.wmv file) in the course. I published the package earlier today, no .swf file. Had a very minor change to make to the notes, published again and now there's a .swf file. Team members have also reported the very same problem. The .swf file is only 1KB, so probably not even a swf file, but our LMS balks at the notion. Deleting the file from the folder doesn't work either because the file is listed in the LMSmanifest document and changing that structure is also no bueno for the LMS.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you're running into a similar issue. 

I was not able to locate a case for Michelle, so I do not have any additional information to share specific to her example.

We do have this issue reported to our team. Another user mentioned the same issue with being unable to delete due to being referenced in the manifest, so I am making an additional note in our report, updating the impact, and attaching this conversation so that we can update you here when we can.

Michelle Gallen

I'm still here, and I still have the problem. I've deleted the videos and the zooms in the source file, but still get a random .swf in the published file. It's 1kb. LMS refuses to take the published output with a .swf. The published output breaks if I delete it. 

I'm not sure what you mean by a case - nobody asked me to log anything anywhere official - as far as I was aware, open discussions like this are the only way to seek help for bugs.

I can't share my source file with you (it's confidential).I suspect this problem is happening more frequently than is being reported here - are you able to replicate it or is it not being investigated because we can't share our confidential files with you?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Michelle, 

In my reply to you above, I shared a link where you could share your file with us so that we could take a look. Since you cannot share the file, perhaps that's why the communication ceased.

No worries, we are aware of the issue and tracking user impact. This conversation is attached as well so that we can share any updates with you here.

With regards to how to get support, I'd like to share our Support Policy with you. We do have the community forum discussions with a staff presence, but you also have direct access to our support engineers to work privately here.

Katie Riggio

Greetings, everyone. Appreciate you working with us!

We're excited to share that Update 7 for Storyline 3 is now live. You can check out all the goodies here, and download this latest version here!

One of the fixes addresses the issue where HTML5-only courses with logos or zoom regions had unnecessary SWF (Flash) files in the published output. 

We're still looking into this behavior specific to video files. I know it's impacting your work, and promise to share updates as soon as we know more!

If there's anything else we can do to help in the meantime, please let us know!

Diane Anderson

I see the last post on this thread is dated 3 months ago. Thanks Katie.

My bottom line question is: Before going down the rabbit hole of exactly why a specific .swf file is in my HTML5 only published course, will the new December 6th update 8 fix this issue? I am currently running Storyline 3 Update 7: 3.7.20003.0.

I am seeing the same or similar issue. I see .swf files in my HTML5 only published courses. However, I have not gone down the path to identify which slide and/or object is creating the problem.

I came across this when my LMS provider sent me a list of courses that contained .swf files. I am aware of the project ahead to republish some of these courses. However, I did spot 2 courses in particular that I KNEW I had published with the settings HTML5 only. These 2 courses both contained .swf files.

Thank you in advance... I will need to enter a request to get IT to update Storyline...

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Diane,

As Katie mentioned above, we are still looking into one issue specific to video files.

If you're not sure of the cause and have to wait on your IT team for an update, I'd be happy to take a look at one of your .story files and publish with the latest update for you to take a look.

With your permission, you can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

cyndy ryder

I am having the same issue now, where courses with wmv videos are publishing a .swf for each video when publishing to HTML 5 only. To complicate matters, I am using an older version of Storyline (update 5) because when it was updated beyond that a new error was introduced where a variable wasn't stored after clicking away from a field without clicking OFF something - we have courses that require learners to enter their name and then click a confirmation button - they can't continue until their name has been entered and the variable isn't stored if the enter their name and directly  press the confirmation button, without first clicking somewhere else on the page. 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Cyndy!

I'm happy to help make sure your course is ready for the removal of Flash!

We've been gearing up for the removal of Flash and keep preparing with every update of Storyline 3. The best way to be prepared is by staying up to date with the most recent version of Storyline 3.

This bug doesn't sound familiar where variables aren't tracked. Do you have a sample file you could share so I can test this on my end? You can either share it in this discussion using the Add Attachment button or share it privately using this upload link. 

cyndy ryder

Hi Lauren, 

The issue isn't the tracking of variables, but of setting them when entered (without clicking on the background of the course).

Peter Mercader said "Regarding the software bug, nothing new as of yet. We’re still working on this, and we’ll definitely let you know when we know more."

As such, I cannot download an updated version of Storyline without introducing this error. The case number is 01759908.

Ren Gomez

Hi Cyndy,

Thanks for clarifying the issue and sharing your case number. I see where Pete followed up with the message you posted regarding the bug for Storyline 3:

A .SWF file is created for videos even if the course is published in HTML5 only format

I'm sorry we don't have any news to share at this point, but we've taken note of this discussion and will be sure to pop in here with any updates.

Katie Riggio

Hi Randy,

Thanks for reaching out here and in a support case!

I see that Vevette found that this could happen when using a .PNG file for the logo. It looks like you both uncovered that using a .JPG or .JPEG file instead, or deleting the .SWF before zipping the file works.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know!

Priya TP

Hi 

We are facing the same problem Not able to upload the course in our learning site. It's popping the critical error message. When we try to check the details we found that its because of .swf file. For testing we used a blank storyline file also its showing up the same .swf file. 

Did you have any solution for this?

Kindly respond ASAP.

Thanks in advance