Storyline 360: advice on slow performance?

Sep 24, 2018

Storyline 360 on Windows 7 (64bit OS)

I am having issues with lag in general: spinning circle whenever clicking a new object or moving from slide to slide while developing as well as lag with jumping to next slide/performing trigger action in the published SCORM.

Also seeing "jittery" closed captions in the published file: the onscreen captions seem to get "stuck" and then quickly cycle through to catch up to the audio. CC appears to works fine in Preview. But not when I am testing in SCORM Cloud. (I am using the default CC functionality...nothing custom)

My organization's Desktop Support guys just say "We don't support software" and then stick their fingers in their ears and run away yelling Lalalalalalala so I'm kind of on my own to troubleshoot.

I understand the CC issues could be related to bandwidth speed but anyone have any tips to increase performance while developing? Are there any temp folder/cache folders to clear? Would it help to do a full uninstall/reinstall?

Could the disk space on my C drive be an issue? (Used Space = 293GB Free Space = 172GB)

Any insight/links would be appreciated!

Katie

3 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hello, fellow Katie. Thanks for walking us through those key details. No comment on one, though. 😆

All giggles aside, your setup seems in line with Storyline 360's System Requirements:

Clearing the temp files may help fix with any memory issues; however, I do want to err on the side of caution there. Storyline saves temp files, so you can restore a project if needed. If you're comfortable with deleting those files to make more room, here's how:

1. Open Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the address field, and press Enter.
  2. When your temp directory opens, hold Ctrl+A to select all the temp files. Then, press the Delete key.
  3. A few temp files may be in use, so you won't be able to delete those. When prompted, feel free to skip them.

The lag and jitter behavior you're describing worries me as well, so I've started a support case on your behalf. Our Support Engineers are rockstars and will do a deep dive on your setup to see what we can recommend. Keep your eyes out for an email from support@articulate.com with some next steps, and I'll also follow along!

Katie Saunders

Follow-up:

Support could not replicate my issue.

After uninstalling and re-installing 360 I tested my problem child again.

Discovered that Chrome still has the "glitch" but IE does not.

So the CC text displays as expected in IE but not in Chrome.

(yup, I cleared cache and everything on both browsers prior to testing)

K

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.