Storyline 360 audio not playing when published

Apr 16, 2018

Today (4/16/18) I republished some courses (minor edits, no changes in settings) that are no longer playing the audio when viewed from a browser or from the Storyline output. The old versions played fine a couple weeks ago and the new versions play fine in Preview mode.  I have 12 courses I just republished with this issue and the client needs them available ASAP. Help!

90 Replies
Jonathan Holmberg

Hi Mark-

That sounds frustrating.

Have you tried the presentation in different browsers or platforms?

Have you tried to copy the course file (to not lose your edits) and roll back your changes to see if the problem persists when published?

Also, if you have any detail on what the edits were, it may help get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

Jon

Victoria Victor

I am having the same problem. To answer the questions posed...the output is Web. The only edits made were text and rollback doesn't solve the problem. I tested it on IE, Chrome and Firefox from my local folder and from my FTP server (which normally both work fine.) Same issue.

So, I took a look in the story_content folder and noticed that the file size for all of the audio files is 1 KB. In other words, nothing is in them. When I try to play an audio file from the story_content folder, I get a Windows Media Player error saying the codec is wrong.

But here's the kicker. I republished a different course that was working a couple weeks ago (didn't make any changes to it) and now it has the same problem. So maybe Storyline is corrupting the codec during publishing? I've put in a ticket with Articulate, but am sharing the file here.

Nicole Kelsch

We are also experiencing this problem. The audio plays just fine in preview mode, but when published to Articulate 360 online, the audio does not play. I updated 360, but still experience the same problem. Is there, indeed, a problem with Storyline 360 corrupting the audio files when publishing? I don't dare publish to the LMS until this known bug is fixed. 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Nicole. I also can't hear audio when I play that link in Chrome.

Can you double-check that you published that course with the latest update of Storyline 360? 

Simply click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.15.15581.0 in the bottom-right corner.  You'll want to be sure you published the content to Articulate Review after you updated Storyline 360.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi again, Nicole! I've been turning this one over in my head for a while, and I'm trying to nail down why you can hear audio in that review link, and I cannot.

Can you check what version of Chrome you're using? Just click this link, and you'll see the version number. 

Here's the version I'm using: Chrome 66.0.3359.139

Crystal Horn

Hey Marty.  Let's see if we can work through what's going on for you.  We'll get the basics out of the way first:

• Can you confirm what version of Storyline you’re using?  Go to Help > About Storyline.  The latest build is 3.15.15581.0.
  • What version of Chrome are you using?
  • Is the sound part of a video or is it an audio file?  Is it supposed to play automatically?
  • Is this happening on new projects that you build as well?
  • If you can share your URL to your content in Articulate Review, I'd like to test it on my end.  Need to keep it private?  No worries - you can respond to me here.

Thanks for troubleshooting with us, Marty!

Amanda Allen

I'm having the same problem. I upgraded a file originally created in SL2 to SL360. The audio plays when I view it in Review and in preview mode, but not when I publish to Web and view on Chrome. I published to my hard drive and my USB.  I'm also operating on the latest versions of SL360 and Chrome. 

I've attached the SL2 backup and the upgraded file. 

Crystal Horn

Hey there, Amanda.  Thanks for all the details!  Before you view your course on Chrome, are you uploading your output to a web server, or launching the published output directly from your desktop?

We are looking into an issue where audio on the first slide is not playing when the course is viewed in Chrome from your local drive.  Can you upload your content to a web server and make sure that you hear the audio in the web environment?  If you've included Flash in your output, Tempshare is a super easy way to temporarily host and test your zipped web output.