Storyline 360 audio volume issue when publishing to video

Dec 18, 2019

I am creating videos showing step-by-step instructions for navigating a web-portal. I am using text-to-speech audio for each step. The final "course" is 30+ slides with audio. I am then publishing as a video.

When I play the video back, the volume of the text-to-speech instructions is getting progressively louder as the video plays. It does this gradually, so you do not notice at first, but if you scrub back to the beginning and then to the end, and compare volume, it is very noticeable. I have tried checking the "Set the same volume level for all audio" box, and it doesn't help. And all the audio is text-to-speech, so it should all render the same anyway!

Has anybody come across this issue?

Thanks,

Jason.

37 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Melissa.

While we don't have a solution for the reported bug where the Volume of audio is increasing if inserted to a slide from screen recording and if published for video output yet, we will come back to this discussion as soon as there's an update.

If the issue you're experiencing is not the one described above, would you be comfortable sharing your file either publicly here or privately through a support case, so one of our engineers can take a look at what's going on?

Dayn Wilkins

Any news on a fix for this?

It looked like you had fixed it with the message from Becca above, but it seems it wasn't fixed. Not only does the volume increase, but it also seems to get more distorted as the video progresses. As an interim measure, I can fix the volume levels in Camtasia (although it's a real pain to have to do this), but I can't do anything in Camtasia about the distortion.

We're using step mode screen recordings with TTS audio a lot, so a fix for this would be much appreciated.

Melissa Blaco

Hello Dayn. For me, I did send my file to the support team and they ran into the same issues. They finally determined that they believed it was because I had placed in Stock videos into SL and suggested that I do not do that for now until they wait to fix the issue. I had to keep the videos in there so my co-worker used Camtasia to separate the audio and video and then she fixed the audio and I placed it back into SL to publish. It was a pain and not ideal but it worked. Really hope that there is a fix for this soon because I had 10 files that I had to do this workaround on. 

Dayn Wilkins

Hi Melissa. I hadn't placed any stock videos in mine, so I don't think they can pin it on that. Mine is just a straightforward step mode screen recording with TTS audio on each slide/step. Yes - a quick fix would also save me a ton of time.

I have to be honest, this issue plus the slow rendering speed when publishing to video are driving me in the direction of Camtasia for future screen recording projects that require video output. Which is a shame.

Rob Skeet

Just wondering if this has been solved? I just produced a presentation with a narrator.  I published it to review and it sounds fine, but I published to MP4 and it sporadically gets super loud at random points.  No idea why.  There is no change in audio on the file.  we have deleted the audio files and reimported but it still does it at the same locations.  any ideas?

Melissa Blaco

Hello Rob, I have not. I received a notice a few months ago from Articulate that this issue was fixed with a software update and to make sure that I was current on my software and to try again. I did and ran into the same issue. I reached out to their IT and they attempted a few times to help and then went silent and stopped responding. I ended up going to another software outside of Articulate in order to complete the video. Sorry this does not help you. Super frustrating.  

Andrea Koehntop

Hi Rob, I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your audio.

Since this discussion is older with varied, related issues, I'd like to ask you a few questions to begin troubleshooting: 

• Are you saving locally? We do not recommend saving your files to a network drive as it can cause erratic behavior. 
  • Is this happening in all audio files you try to publish, or isolated to this one audio file?
  • Would you be willing to share your audio file publicly here, or privately in a case so we can see how it's behaving? We will delete it from our systems when troubleshooting is complete. 
Jose Tansengco

Hi Stefani, 

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into a similar issue. 

Can you confirm if you are experiencing the same behavior where the Volume of audio is increasing if inserted to a slide from screen recording and if published for video output? If so, this bug is still being investigated, but we'll be sure to leave a message here when a fix is released. 

If the behavior you're experiencing is different, please try enabling the option below when publishing your course to video: 

If the issue persists, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Jose Tansengco

Hello Stephanie, 

Can I ask if you've tried using the "Set the same volume level for all audio" option in the publishing settings as shown in my response here

If this doesn't help address the behavior for you, please share a copy of your file here or in private through a support case so we can check to see what's causing the differences in the audio level of your published output. The bug that is discussed in this thread is still open, but since you're not using any screen recordings, I'd like to test if the behavior is being caused by something else entirely.