Storyline 360 embedded web object timeline trigger

Aug 03, 2023

Good day everyone!
Traditionally I placed video files directly on the Storyline 360 slide, and could simply set it to auto play, and on completion, the next item would be triggered.

I am now embedding the video within an iframe (Insert, Video, Video from Website, embed code from shared MS Streams or Sharepoint video), to preserve space on the LMS server, and am experiencing 3 challenges:

1. the slide timeline will run, as it should, whether the user clicks on "play video" or not, meaning that the next item on the timeline will be triggered regardless. (it is logical that the program has no way of knowing that the embedded has completed playing video)
2. the embedded video does not autoplay (this could be a browser related issue with Chrome / Edge) - if this is possible, then I could use timeline for next trigger
3. the Animation option fade in / fade out are not available

Ultimately, I am trying to make the course as user friendly as possible - without too many "click next slide" clicks while on the same topic.

Has anyone come across a solution that will allow the embedded video to trigger the next item only when complete; as in the video played till the end as opposed to according to timeline?

At the moment it seems I will need to create seperate slides for each embed video with a manual "click next" in order to move to the next slide with next items.

3 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Johan,

Happy to help!

There isn't a way to associate embedded videos with the "when media completes" trigger because these videos are being hosted on a third-party platform that Storyline 360 cannot interact with. This behavior is explained here.

We recommend adding the video from a file instead if you would like to associate your videos with triggers. I'll let other members of the community chime in so they can share their experiences with a similar requirement! 

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

to track the video is not possible, if you use the simple version of web object "Video from Website"

• you need the real web object with index.html, css and javascript

AND

• a player api provided by the video hosting page -> interact with the video
  • if video is ended the js in the web object will be informed and can sends this info to storyline
  • player api are available for vimeo and youtube
  • as far as I know, there is no player api available for MS Streams

PERI Training Johan Grobler

Alright, thank you to both Joe and Jürgen!

I will then rather simply use 2 different slides to place the different content.

I really do appreciate the time taken to look into this and reply, we can let the topic rest and consider this thread as completed.

Have a great day everyone,
Johan