Storyline 360 freezing?

May 05, 2017

Hello all, 

Last time I posted on one of these I got my problems solved so hoping that happens again!

Every single day this week my Storyline 360 has been freezing up at least once a day, over very minute tasks such as resizing/moving a shape or taking something from the icon library. It is very frustrating and causing me to lose work constantly. Anyone else having that issue?

Also I am not one of those people who has several storyline files open at once or even many programs open at once! I usually have a Word doc, SL 360, Chrome and a few images open at once, that's all. 

Hope someone can help. I am going to run a virus scan and see if that's a possibility.

Thanks

63 Replies
Chris Pim

Performance is still absolutely rubbish. Sometimes takes 25 mins. to save...freezes for minutes on end.

Whilst I have had communication with helpful technical people there has been no proper response to my comments about the freezing problem and saving times.

How can such an expensive product perform so poorly on large projects?

It has basically slowed down my development time by about 1000%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Pim

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the possible solution...There are 12 videos linked that play on Vimeo...they are not digitised...I guess this is not the issue for me?

I suspect it is because I have a lot of slides/layers and variables...I understand that loading and saving and even publishing would be slow....but just normal editing of anything grinds to a halt within a few minutes. It has become virtually uneditable,

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi John,

I saw you also reached out to our support team after running into this issue, and Robert shared some initial steps (repairing Storyline). If you're still having trouble, can you let us know by responding here or within the email to Robert? We can continue the troubleshooting from there! 

Alex G

Hi Joe,

I wanted to share my experience in case is helpful. I experienced a lot of crashes some time ago but I have been enjoying quite some time with no crashes. I can't be sure but there are two things that I think made the difference.

• The problem got less frequent with the updates. Now I'm on v3.31 and it's been at least two months since last crash. Maybe more.
  • I think I identified a critical move that made it crash, so I avoid it. I think it crashed more when, being on Slide A, I clicked in a text area and wrote something and then moved directly to Slide B. What I try to do now is click outside the text area on Slide A before moving to Slide B. Sounds like a pretty stupid thing to cause a freeze, but believe me that it saved me a few times.

Hope that helps.

Heather Heward

I am in my second month using 360 and I am pretty disappointed with the functionality. It reminds me of working in ArcGIS doing extensive mapping but it is even worse than that. The unexplained freezing and crashing, the slow response time when trying to play a slide and the complicated and inconsistent response of the triggers is really frustrated. This is expensive software and I would expect more from it. 

The slow response time has been on every project that I have worked on. I have worked with help on several other issues that I have had and have not been impressed with the type of support that is available. 

Hi Heather,

I know the pain of ArcGIS all too well listening to my fiancee complain in the other room. Perks of working together through the pandemic. 😉

But, I can say that's not what I'd expect from Storyline! Typically when we see issues with the application slowing down or crashing our team is able to isolate it to something in the particular file or interaction on your machine with another app. 

I'd love to have our Support team connect with you. They're around 24/7 using the link here for email support and 360 Teams Customers also can access chat support there 24/5. I opened up a case for you and they'll be reaching out soon. 

Chris Pim
Heather Heward

I am in my second month using 360 and I am pretty disappointed with the functionality. It reminds me of working in ArcGIS doing extensive mapping but it is even worse than that. The unexplained freezing and crashing, the slow response time when trying to play a slide and the complicated and inconsistent response of the triggers is really frustrated. This is expensive software and I would expect more from it. 

The slow response time has been on every project that I have worked on. I have worked with help on several other issues that I have had and have not been impressed with the type of support that is available. 

Hi Heather,

I have experienced a lot of freezing on my very large projects over the years, but I have to say now that I don't really have that issue any more with those same projects. I have no idea why. Saving can be a problem and I often have to save to a new file name to save a very large project. I don't find the slide load time to be slow...in fact I am amazed at how quickly a slide loads in some of my projects which are sometimes running hundreds of lines of code. Are you talking about when previewing or when running a preview or when it has been published? Previewing the total project can take a very long time with very big projects - I tend to just try previewing a slide wherever possible (and it isn't always possible to do that of course).

re: Technical support...I have been one of the first to raise my frustrations with bugs etc...but I do find technical support to be very good. Some bugs still have not been fixed which is a frustration but that is more to do with priorities set beyond technical support. But I find when I raise a ticket I get a very rapid and detailed and supportive response from the technical team - always.

Chris

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Kim,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your project.

Do you know what version of Storyline you're using?

You can check by going to:
Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.47.23871.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

If you are on the latest version, I'd recommend repairing your software since it's not working properly.

Emily Marble

I have been having consistent freezing / lagging issues since last friday.  I have been trying to finish a module... and any time I try to click anything the program freezes, or lags for several minutes making navigation, edits.. anything and everything impossible.  I am submitting a case request, but the last several cases i've submitted have gone unanswered.  My IT department assures me my laptop is more than capable to handle the program and is a brand new computer... I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, only have storyline 360 open...and I have up to date virus software and no issues with my computer while doing anything else.   I can't progress in my project. 

Chris Pim

My advice is to 'save as' first time you open your project. This will release memory back to the program and allow more memory for everything, including copy/paste.

I am having terrible memory problems as well...but funnily enough freezing has not been so much of a problem. However, copy/paste and duplicating a heavy slide with lots of content, triggers and variable references fails or crashes Storyline 360.

Hey, Sarah! It looks like you're not receiving the emails from our Support team. Not to worry - I've asked my colleague Mike to give you a call so he'll be reaching out shortly. We'll get the situation figured out. 

Glad to hear that, Kim! Ensuring that your IT team has enabled the network endpoints and ports listed here is always a great first troubleshooting step.

Chris and Eric, I'd love to have you connect with our Support Team too. Let us know if you do connect and we'll follow along too!