Storyline 360 - issues with "states"

Dec 02, 2016

Hello Heroes

The new Storyline 360 is giving me some trouble regarding the use of states. I found two issues that are delaying my course development:

1. It crashes when I try to add a new state.
  2. The published course hangs when a state is used on a previous page. 

Here is what I implemented in the earlier version of Storyline that now appears to be broken in 360:

• The Next button was added in a hidden state at the bottom right hand side of the page.
  • A marker was added with two states; Normal (in a red colour) and Visited (in a gray colour) (Normal is set as the default state)
  • A trigger was added to change state of the marker to "Visited" when the user hovers the mouse over.
  • A trigger was added to change the state of the Next Button to Normal when the state of Marker changes to Visited.

This page described through the steps above still works after publishing in Storyline 360, but the next page displays partially, i.e. it does not fully render, and the course gets stuck on a spinning circle animation.

Any solutions?

Cheers - David Fisher

4 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there David! Thanks for including those details here - so sorry to hear you've run into these issues. I'd want to confirm that you're publishing locally and adhering to the other files guidelines here. If so, and you're still having difficulty we'll want to take a look at your .story file and do some testing on our end. You can upload it here by using the "add attachment" button at the bottom of the reply window. 

David Fisher

Thank you for the response, Alyssa. I have Storyline installed on an 500 GG SSD system drive which operates as drive C, while publishing to a 500 GB data drive that operates as drive E. Are you suggesting that Storyline must write to the C Drive in order to work properly? 

This newest version of Storyline 360 does appear to be an incredible resource hog, slowing my machine to a crawl at times. I have been monitoring the memory use and find it at over a GB of memory usage along with incredible ongoing CPU usage. I did not encounter these resource issues in using either Storyline  or Storyline 2.

Is there a cost to sending files in to Articulate staff for review?

Cheers

David

Alyssa Gomez

Hi David, 

Yes, we recommend saving and publishing on your local hard drive (typically your C: drive). Working on a network drive or an external (USB) drive can cause erratic behavior, such as file corruption, an inability to save changes, and loss of project resources due to latency.

Storyline 360 certainly shouldn't be causing your machine to behave so slowly. I'd invite you to work directly with our Support engineers here so that they could gather a bit more information about your system set up. 

There is no cost to send us your files for review! Our Support engineers are available 24/7, and if you want to let me know the case number I can follow along, as well. :)

David Fisher

I have a partial work around:

• I switched the publish location for specific course to C from E (I must say that on this topic I am actually quite frustrated with Storyline; this appears to be some programming laziness on the part of the Storyline developers in my mind. I do not want to be writing large amounts of data to my main SSD drive simply because the programmers couldn't figure out how to create a storage drive variable - but I digress... I expect I am not alone in this pet peeve.),
  • I have logged in to Storyline 360 with "Administrator Rights",
  • I republished the course, uploaded to a web location and I now have a workaround for the spinning circle animation.

However, on a local preview of a scene or the full course, the spinning circle animation is still a problem. I can only "Preview" individual slides or play a single slide while developing.

Thank you, Alyssa for your offer to help and monitor progress. Since I appear to be the only person encountering this issue, I will just grumble alone.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.