Storyline 360 mobile--way to prevent full screen on slide with video?

Feb 03, 2017

We have a slide that contains video and objects on screen.  Is there a way to prevent the video form play full screen on mobile when entering the slide? 

Help much appreciated.

12 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Jay!

Can you give me a bit more information on how you've added the video to your slide? Was it inserted as a file, or embedded from a site like Youtube or Vimeo?

The Storyline 360 update released on January 26 included functionality to allow videos to play inline on iPhones, but we have discovered an issue with this functionality when videos are embedded from Youtube or Vimeo and are viewed in Safari for iOS. Videos that are embedded still play full screen, but you can click the minimize button, and the video will continue playing inline in Safari.

If you have inserted the video into the slide via Insert > Video > Video from File, then the video should play inline automatically, as long as the content was published with the most recent update of Storyline 360. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Jolyon! 

Videos playing full screen on mobile devices is expected behavior. Mobile Safari, for example, automatically scales videos to fit the screens of smaller devices, such as iPhones. (See Apple's developer documentation for details.)

I'm not aware of a workaround for this, but maybe folks in the community can chime in this discussion with one!

Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health

Thanks for the reply Alyssa :)

Hopefully someone in the community can chime in...

The issue I am having is that:

• I'm using Youtube to host video then embedding it in H5P where I have created interactions during the video.
  • When Youtube goes fullscreen on my iphone, the video plays, but all H5P interactions are lost. I guess this is because we can think of this whole activity as having 3 'layers'. The first is youtube at the back, then H5P which is on top of youtube, finally these two are embedded in storyline.

I'm wondering if people have had any experience with forcing video to play inline on ios phone screens? Or is there another way to do this?

Cheers from a rainy, wintery Melbourne.

Jolyon

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Paris and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for contacting us to share what you are experiencing with your project.

You mention that 'all videos are embedded in the system'. Does this mean that you uploaded the videos via Insert > Video > Video from File?

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.