Storyline 360 - not responsive on mobile?

Jul 20, 2021

I'm evaluating Storyline 360 and not having much luck on mobile.  

Here's what I did:

1. Created a brand-new project
  2. Added a text block, a button, and a character
  3. Published to HTML (with the modern player)

On an iPhone in portrait mode, it looks like attached.  Most of the screen real estate (~2/3) is wasted with horizontal black bars, and the text is way too small to read.

I could manually increase font sizes, but then I think it will look bad on desktop.  Is there something I'm missing?  The docs say "Your course will look beautiful and work great on every device with the new responsive player," but I am not seeing any responsiveness.

I am using Storyline 360, v3.52.25436.0 - it appears up to date.

Thanks.

3 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Greg,

Storyline is only "responsive" in that it adjusts to the orientation of the device. In other words, the top of the course will always be positioned toward the top of the device. If you rotate the device, the course will rotate. 

Yes, landscape-format courses look so small on a device held in a portrait position. One option provided is to adjust the Responsive Playback so it only shows the course when the device is held in the desired position:

For truly responsive playback, use Rise instead of Storyline. (That, however, doesn't offer as many options for interactivity as Storyline. But it might be enough for your needs.)