Storyline 360 - Poor Audio Output and Crashing

Feb 03, 2018

I am using the publish to video of Storyline 360 Desktop App and having lots of trouble.

Fist, the audio quality is poor. I use high-quality audio narration (uncompressed .WAV, 44.4KhZ, 1058 bit rate). The audio sounds perfect when exported to eLearning.

However, when I export to Video (1080p, Video Quality "Very high" and Audio Quality "Very High"), the audio is severely degraded and sounds "tinny."

I wanted to produce DVDs for use in the classroom, but it sounds poor and amateurish. 

Second, when I attempt to publish a "long" video, 52-minutes, the video portion works, but the application crashes when incorporating the audio track. Storyline does output a file, but it is pure video with no sound at all.

When I output smaller snippets, the total video is published, but with the audio problems mentioned in the start of this thread.

Publishing to 720p has identical results.

Thoughts, suggestions, workarounds?

System Information:

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299.192

Quad-core, i7, 3.5GHz

RAM: 32 GB

Storyline version: 3.12.14647.0

66 Replies
Scott Szymanski

Our team is also running into poor audio output issues. Audio set to "Very High." We've been using the feature for at least two months, and Storyline 360 has consistently failed to export high quality audio when we publish to video. We have a client that requires video output for most projects, and the audio has been an issue in the past.

Please update this post when new information or updates are available. Thanks!

Downer NZ

Hi team,

It would be great to hear more on this. I presume you have enough examples to work with now to find a solution. If there was a way to adjust the settings when outputting to video (using anything other than the generic High, Very High etc) that would be great. This has become an immediate need where I have recorded voiceover throughout my project, only to have that sound tinny, echoing etc. I know it's only been a few days since the last post but if you have any updates on this, I'm keen to hear (as my project is due by this Friday - NZ time).

Thanks for your help

Ray

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Scott and Downer

Our team is still investigating the issue where the audio quality of a Publish to Video output is lower than in the Preview. We'll let folks know here as soon as we have any updates or additional information to share. 

Downer, additional examples never hurt! The more items our team has to test while we investigate and then the more to test a fix on, the better. If you can share, feel free to upload here in ELH using the Add Attachment button. 

Katie Riggio

Hello there! I'm so excited to share that update 20 for Storyline 360 is now live–check out all the improvements here! 🛠

One of the fixes addresses the issue where audio could get out of sync or have reduced quality when publishing to video.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to see and hear everything the latest release has to offer. Have a listen, and let us know what you think!

Fern McCracken

Use the latest version of articulate 360 to prepare and export your video... But most importantly you must use Microsoft Office 360 PPT when embedding the video into a presentation as well as anyone that plays your presentation.  If they use an early version of PowerPoint then the audio is unpredictable.

Hope that is helpful

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Ken.  Tell me a little more about what you're experiencing.  I see that you're using the latest version of Storyline 360. 

• Are you getting poor quality output when publishing your presentation to video?
  • Do you have audio and video content in your course?

We're happy to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it publicly here, or send it to us privately by uploading it here.  We'll delete it when we're done troubleshooting. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.