Storyline 360: Set the display of a layer when switching to a slide according to the layer displayed on the previous slide.

Oct 22, 2021

Hello,
My question is about a creation on Storyline360.
In my module, my slides contain two layers:
one layer displays text, the second layer contains audio (The idea is for learners to be able to choose whether they want to hear or read the content for each slide - but not to have both at the same time to avoid cognitive overload). These layers are materialized in tabs on the slide.

By default the text layer is displayed as soon as you get to the slide.
This works very well.

Now I want to make an additional setting:
I want that if the learner has displayed the "listen" layer on slide 1, when he goes to slide 2 it automatically displays the "listen" layer and not the "read" one.

How can I do this?

Thank you very much.

2 Replies
Judy Nollet
  • Create a T/F variable with a default setting of False. This will be used to track whether the learner will continue in the default "read" mode (False), or has chosen the "listen" mode (True). For example, you could call this variable Listening.
  • For whatever button the learner clicks to choose "listen," add a trigger that adjusts Listening to True. 
  • On each slide, you'll need two triggers:
    • Trigger to show the "read" layer when the timeline starts with the condition that Listening = False
    • Trigger to show the "listen" layer when the timeline starts with the condition that Listening = True.

BTW, if the user is allowed to switch back and forth, you'll also need a trigger that adjusts the variable back to False if the user switches back to "read" mode.

Here's more info on conditions and variables;