Storyline 360: Text entry question with 90+ response options - is this possible?

Mar 06, 2023

I am building a course in Storyline 360 on our company's All Hazard Response Plan (utility company). All employees are assigned to a position to assist in the event of an emergency and the activation of the AHRP. My SMEs have an idea to end the course with a question asking learners to navigate to an internal SharePoint site to look up their position assignment and then enter that in the response field for the question (Text Entry question). The learner's response must match with one of 90+ position titles in order to receive a congratulations message and proceed to the end of the course. 

I'm thinking this is not possible with the standard text entry question as the number of allowable responses is 10. Open to any other thoughts/ideas on how we might be able to accomplish something like this without a lot of special programming?

2 Replies
Walt Hamilton

It would be easy to do this in JS, but if you don't want to go that way, it could still be done. You couldn't use a built-in quiz slide; you would have to make your own. The learner would enter into a text entry field, and you would have 90 triggers to check for the presence of each possible correct answer. Then if you want it scored, you would have to put it on a built-in quiz where you can programatically force the correct or incorrect answer, and submit it to be graded. The real problem with all scored text entry questions is that any variation (spelling, capitalization) and the question is marked wrong, even if it's right.

In my opinion, the best option is perhaps drop down choices, especially if you can group them in, say, nine groups. That gives you only ten options in each group, and that's pretty easy to handle.  Ten groups would easily fit on one slide.

The attached sample will give you some ideas on how drop down lists can work. Slide 1 was created for someone who wanted a drop down Multiple Choice quiz. Slide 2 show how it can be adapted to work as menu.  Several of the menu options work differently than others, to show variations of what can be done.

Julie Ault

Thank you Walt for the feedback and suggestions. I'm not versed in writing JS but I was able to utilize ChatGPT to create the JS for me. I would just need to add in all the variations of the correct and incorrect responses. After thinking about this more, and the time involved to code all the variations, I'm going to propose some different options to my SME instead of going this route. Thanks again for the feedback!