Storyline 360 unstable

Mar 22, 2021

I'm having some significant issues with Storyline 360, it is crashing frequently and/or freezing. I'm on the latest version and running windows 10 v 1909 build 18363.1443. 

11 Replies
Cynthia Manika

My version is in a desktop folder. I am having this issue - when I "play the timeline" in the working environment, not preview or after you publish - I have saved as a new name - I have imported this project over several dozen times already into a new project. I have uninstalled the apps, used your clean utility and reinstalled. I now save EACH time I do anything. This is insanity - I already have a case open due to all the other problems and crashes - this is a new one to add to the lot. I have each scenario in its own file for now just to get through development and review. Plus when I change from expanded font, which seems to be part of the other issue - it removes all my animation timing by paragraph and formatting. I am not sure what is happening with your software but the "gremlins" I have experienced over the many years have grown to full blown adult trolls and wreaking havoc for me and my students.

Glenda DeHoff

Was this resolved? I am having similar issues. My system totally freezes when developing and I must perform a hard restart as I cannot even bring up the Task Manager. 

• it does not appear to be tied to any particular task.
  • I have tried not running other applications at the same time, but it is still happening.
  • It is occurring on my work laptop as well as my personal laptop (both used from home) and with multiple projects. 
  • Not sure if it is related, but I recently had an issue with my audio file corrupting. Case #02872434: Incorrect audio 
  • Working on files locally.

My personal laptop is more powerful than my work laptop, so the following info is for that device.

• Storyline 360 v 3.54.25674.0 
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
  • Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home addition; v 21H1
  • Browser: Google Chrome Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cynthia Manika

I can't say it is resolved yet as I broke up each scene into it own file for the review cycle and have not brought them together into a single file yet. BUT support did give me steps to uninstall, preform a cleanup of the registry, then reinstall. Had to do it on both my laptop and computer. I was not having issues with the other courses just this one caused issues I have never seen before and I have used ever version Articulate has released. Starting a new project and importing all scenes did not resolve it and it did not bring my master layouts when I imported - which was also odd. My final fix to this point, after you get support to help you with the uninstall, clean, reinstall...

Remove all slides except one and save as a template - only way I kept my custom layouts

Start a project using "import from story template", save the file 

Then import a single scene, delete out the one slide you had in your template, repeat for all scenes

I did have to rebuilt one scene as I could never get it to be stable

Also - I was using expanded font spacing that had to be reformatted to regular spacing, saved with a new filename, before I imported. First time I used expanded spacing so it is the ONLY thing that is different from any other course I have built.

I am not having any issues with any other course and for now, the pieces of this course are stable. I'll follow-up in this thread once I bring it into a single course, or if I bring it into a single course. 

Best of luck!

Cynthia Manika

Your support team gave me step-by-step for the uninstall, cleanup, reinstall - I think you should post the link to the "clean-up" program that wipes all Articulate registry items. This step was critical. The multiple saves, saves as, and save as a template etc, was my trial and error and could have been overkill so I don't want your support team blamed for all those extra steps.

Cynthia Manika
Senior Computer Applications Instructor

<https://collaborate.northwestern.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=Arpn3imOoEOmYatHAkHZBFc4GLzG4dAILbi72kIDqbpHYeJ

Glenda DeHoff

I am unable to access Cynthia's instructions as they are behind a firewall that requires a password. That being said, my issue seems to be resolved. I started having other issues and changed my DNS Server. For now, I am back in business. I used these instructions from CNET.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-change-dns-windows-mac-osx/