Storyline360 Text to Speech audio not playing when published to LMS

Jul 05, 2023

I am using Storyline 360 to create an accessible course, using Text To Speech and Closed Captions. Both work fine when previewing in Review360 and when viewed using the published files output folder to open it in the Browser (both Chrome and Edge). However, the showstopper is that neither TTS or CC work when the zip file is uploaded to our LMS (Cornerstone On Demand).

I have ensured that both .story file, published folder and zip file are all in the same root folder; I have tried having this root folder both on and off my employer's network; I have tried manually zipping the published files output folder. None of this works!

I have attached a sample file of 3 slides, which has the same problem as my project.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

5 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hi Karen, and welcome to the E-Learning Heroes Community! Glad you're here!✨

Thanks so much for reaching out!

I took a look at your file and was unable to replicate the issue you're experiencing in your browser with TTS and CC not working in the published file.

I'd recommend testing out your course in SCORM Cloud to see if you are able to replicate the behavior there. This article explains how you can test your course in SCORM Cloud for comparison: 

You can enable the LMS debug mode for your course to see exactly what your course is communicating to your LMS for troubleshooting purposes. Here's how: 

If you'll need further assistance with the issue, please feel free to reach out to our talented Support Engineers within a support case. We're happy to help! 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Have a great afternoon! 

Karen Bunce

Hi Luciana,
I tested on SCORM Cloud and the TTS and CC both worked.
I've enabled debug mode and asked the LMS administrator to take a look.

The suspicion at the moment, is that it has something to do with how Articulate has been packaged for my employer's network. There does seem to be a small difference in the zip file content, depending on whether I use a work computer to publish it, or my personal one. In the html5 > lib folder, my own computer adds a folder: hls > hls,min.js. 
Both devices are Windows 10, and our LMS can only be deployed on our work computers. Is the hls file likely to be significant?

Jose Tansengco

Hi Karen, 

Thanks for the additional information. The contents of the published output shouldn't affect the performance of your published course when hosted on an LMS. We recommend sharing the published output of your course hosted in SCORM Cloud so your LMS administrator can check to see why your course works in SCORM Cloud but not in their environment. If you need further assistance, feel free to open a case with our support team here