Storyline360: Video on Single Slide vs Step-by-Step

Oct 19, 2020

Hi Friends -

I'm trying to screen record a simple example of navigation within a published module. I want to show my learners how to collapse the player menu and re-enable it using the three line icon in the Modern player.

The step-by-step approach to screen recording is great with the mouse formatting and click sounds, but I can only record only one clickable action using the approach (am I correct?). So I can't show toggling the menu collapse, back and forth, in one step-by-step capture - only the first click I make.

I'm not seeing an obvious way to string together those step-by-step recordings into a single continuous video, which is what I really want to show.

I could capture the longer demonstration, but I would need to use video on a single slide. But it looks like I wouldn't be able to make use of the cool cursor control and sound effects in the step-by-step!

So what's the best way to capture a longer software demo with multiple steps on just one slide and make use of the cool cursor control and sound effects at the same time? Any recommendations for what approach to take?

Thanks so much!

Ashley

7 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Ashley,

You can absolutely record more than one clickable action during your screen-recording. When you use the Step-by-Step options, Storyline 360 will then break each click action into individual slides.

If you'd like to include the mouse movements and sounds while teaching the software, try using the View Mode Step-by-Step option!

Rich Chapman

Hi Ren - Thank you for responding! So I think I understand the basics pretty well; I'm just not clear on good execution I think. 

Do I need to change the start and end frame to capture more of the software cursor movements? I want to have several short screen recordings each one self-contained demonstrating simple functionality. For example, I want to show how a person can collapse the menu on the left by clicking the menu icon in the player. When I use View Mode, it only captures me moving the cursor to that icon and clicking it once. In one capture I'd like to show how I can toggle it back and forth, off and back on - so this would mean the screen recording showing me click the icon and move the cursor several times, back and forth in one take.

Can I do that on just one slide?

Thanks!

Ashley

Katie Riggio

Hey there, Ashley!

Thanks for writing back, and good question.

The possibilities for approaching this are endless, but if you need to have multiple quick recordings, each one self-contained, then I agree that the View Mode step-by-step option is right for the job. That way, your labeled slides will be inserted as a demo under a scene.

Check out this short Peek 360 video of how that could look!

P.S. Here's an excellent, related resource on creating helpful software sims:

Rich Chapman

Katie thank you so much for taking the time to hold my hand here - really grateful for your help and the special Peek instruction!

So what I need to show my learner is a very simple process that involves three clicks. However, it looks like the step by step creates slides that only show one click per slide. To show the entire process, I would need to have the learner watch the entire scene of three slides.

Can I set up a button that allows the learner to jump to that scene to view the entire process? Jumping to layers using buttons is not big deal, but I'm not sure if jumping to an entire scene works in the same way.

Does that make sense?

Really appreciate it - thank you!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.