Techniques to publish a course in Multi-Languages..!!

Nov 01, 2015

Hello Team,

I need your help to know on how to create courses in multiple languages.

I was thinking our course content will be in English, the only thing that would change are the sub-titles and voice over.

We are using moodle as our LMS.
Or, do you use any other simple process to create multi-language courses.

Languages Required:
English
Arabic
French
Persian
Russian
Turkish

Regards,
Alfred

10 Replies
Steve VE

Purely a thought experiment but you could do this:

1. Have variable that captures a language string.
  2. Have the user select a language to set the language variable.
  3. On each slide create a layer that contains the subtitles and voiceover.
  4. When the user visits the slide, check the language variable and show the appropriate layer. Be sure to allow the user to interact with the base layer.

Some notes:

• I'm not sure how well this will work with quizzing.
  • You will be locking yourself out of using layers for anything but the languages.
Alfred Dsouza

Hey Steve,

Thank you so much for your response. I'm fairly a new user on Articulate Storyline, is there a way you can help me with a "Demo file" that shows how to create variables that captures a language string.

For example, you can consider as if you're creating courses in two different languages. I don't need actual language translation, I just need the concept of creating language string and creating a layer for subtitles and voiceover.

Is that possible for you to do that?

Regards,

Alfred

Jeff Kortenbosch

Hi Alfred, be mindful when you are using subtitles based on timed variables they might go out of sync if a user has some bandwidth issues. e.g. the video might just take a little longer to load on the page but the timeline with your variables based subtitles will start running the moment your slide starts.

I tend to create a separate module for each language. This way I can make minor tweaks to the layout if necessary and have full control over each language. The export captions feature makes translation super easy.

Bruno Dethune

Hi Alfred,

once you manage to have a language variable and use it to make your training language depending, you also can get the user language from your LMS

A little javascripting will be needed:

var player=GetPlayer();

player.SetVar("sLearnerLanguage", SCORM_GetLanguagePreference());

This will make the users language from the LMS to the variable "sLearnerLanguage"

Have fun with it

Bruno

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.