Trigger not working when published

Jan 04, 2023

I have a trigger for a picture to change state after the user has clicked on a hotspot.  It works in preview, but when I publish it, it doesn't work!  I have a few other similar triggers on the same slide, and they all still work when published.  Please could you help?!

7 Replies
Walt Hamilton

I published to the web and ran it seven times, each time starting with a different leaf. Each one changed to the Visited state when I selected it.

The one thing I would suggest is that you not use groups for the leaf and the text. You cannot move either one of them without moving the hotspot (which you won't do accidentally), and your learners cannot move either of them. So the group is not serving any practical purpose. Groups are well know not to play nicely with states and triggers, and can potentially cause the sort of problems you are experiencing.  Since it works for me, I can't test to see if groups are the problem, but even if it doesn't resolve this problem, not using unnecessary groups can save you development time and resources, as well as potential conflicts in the future.

The other help I would offer you is to suggest that you drop the tree into a graphics editor such as the free paint.net. With a few clicks, you can fill the leaves and birds with black, saving a bunch of time and effort.

Nicola Anderson

Thank you for taking a look!  I just removed all of the groups, but the issue is still happening for me.  I'm publishing to Review360 if that makes a difference?  I'm actually using it as a block in a Rise course.

Thanks for the tip re free paint.net - I hadn't heard of that site, will definitely check it out!

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

this is an strange timing bug of storyline with some trigger and (first) show layer

i have tried some changes
 - use custom state - not build-in state
 - changed the order of the trigger
 - optimize your tree image
 - resized other images with photoshop

this reduces the frequency of the error - but it still occurs sometimes
-> the error is not fixed

but here is a 'special' fix for the problem
 - create an extra empty layer
 - show this layer on timeline start with a trigger

now the layer/trigger script engine of storyline player will be initialized on timeline start - not only when clicking a button

result:
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/a6f8172b-6e31-4b20-94bb-e487036c7c61/review