Trying to open to an old storyline file in Articulate Storyline 360 but can't

Jul 21, 2023

Hi fundies!  I need some help - I'm trying to open an old storyline file in articulate storyline 360, but am getting a message that "the project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened.  It may have been created in an earlier version of Storyline."  Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this?  I need to make a minor change to this existing elearning, and really don't want to redo the entire course...

3 Replies
Eric Santos

Hi Jeanie, 

I'm sorry to hear about your Storyline file! There may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

As Jürgen and Eric mentioned, we can look at the file and see if we can recover something. If you're more comfortable sharing it privately in a support case, you can do that too. We'll delete it when we're done!