Upload Errors to SharePoint (Error Code: 0x800700DE)

Dec 12, 2014

Recently I've been seeing an error code when uploading content to SharePoint (Error Code: 0x800700DE) where I can "Try Again" or "Skip." The Try Again never works so I've been choosing Skip and so far things have still worked. A little research shows that this may be that a file name is too long for SharePoint or that it contains unacceptable characters.  I should maybe note that on every occassion the file throwing the error has been a JPG.

Can anyone shed some light on this and hopefully a solution? I'm not sure how long my luck is going to hold out...

Thanks.

12 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Brett,

I've heard other users mention issues with Sharepoint previously and file name length - and we generally recommend that you follow along with Microsofts guidelines here  (at the bottom) to keep file names and paths well under the 260 character limit and don't include any special characters, symbols, or accented characters. 

Are you able to look at changing the file names to ensure those are not causing the issue? 

Brett Rockwood

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the reply. There isn't much I can do about file names as Storyline is creating them on publish. The only control I have is how deep in the SharePoint folder structure the files are saved. Keeping them closer to the root folder may save a few characters. That should be fairly easy to test; I'll give it a try and let you know.

As for special characters, I haven't used any in my names and all the rest are created by Storyline so I wouldn't think that's the issue.

James Snider

Do you have any special characters in the file name? This can cause this issue with SharePoint. Also, how long is the filename? The max length I believe is 128 characters, including file extension. I don't know what your output was, but SharePoint blocks some files by default and others may be added. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262496%28v=office.15%29.aspx

Brett Rockwood

Hi James and Ashley,

Thanks for chiming in. I don't think there are any special characters unless Storyline is creating them on publish, which seems unlikely. An example file name that was errored out is "68Zr121aeac51Q33DXRbt.jpeg".  Nothing wrong there I think other than what comes before it as part of the SharePoint directory. I want to try uploading to a different location on SP and see if it makes a difference.

Brett Rockwood

Bringing this back to life with some more info...

The files that seem to consistently error out are the ones using web objects. Storyline is creating a file name with brackets { } in it for the web object slide. Here is an example: 5u6OOvdNIZb6Q8VgAYEuu9{Width=718, Height=540}Light_90_DX1436_DY1436.png. Notice the {Width=718, Height=540} part of the file name. When examining the file it turns out to be the gray web object image that shows the URL of the web object on the slide.

My question is, is this file actually necessary for the project to run as it doesn't appear in the published output, and if so, can the name be changed somehow to be acceptable to SharePoint?

See the error message from SharePoint showing the prohibited brackets characters.

Hi Brett, 

You mentioned the file is not a part of the published output, so I'm unsure where you're seeing this file name set up, other than Sharepoint indicating it can't accept that file? If the file is not included as a part of the published output created by Storyline - where are you looking at deleting it from? 

Thanks for clarifying Brett - shaking off the Monday morning fogginess. :) 

I haven't noticed that the web object placeholder is included in the published files, but I believe you. Unfortunately I can't offer support for deleting or modifying anything in the published output - but if it still works after removing it..... :-) 

john shepherd

Hi,

SharePoint is server software that’s allied with document management, intranet and with content management. But sometimes it shows errors and everything gets spoiled. Many users get the error 0x800700DE and don't have any idea of how to solve this issue. The mentioned above solution is really helpful and provides the best way to solve such type of errors.

http://www.filerepairtool.net/blog/fix-0x800700de-sharepoint-copy-errors

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.