Variable? Trigger?

Aug 11, 2016

Hello Heroes,

I'm building a course with 9 short topics. I'm going to put them into a tic-tac-toe grid. Learners are instructed to go through each topic on their own. They are not finished the course until all topics have a checkmark beside them.

I don't want learners to be able to click "next" and go to the final slide until all topics have checkmarks.

Since they will be completing the topics in a random order, what variable or trigger do I need to use to make the "next" button appear only after all 9 topics have checks beside them?

Thanks,

Sharon

5 Replies
Joanna Kurpiewska

Hi Sharon

This is what I'd do:

1. set the next button to disabled/hidden state
  2. create 9 variables True/False type: Topic1Completed, Topic2Completed etc. with False as initial.
  3. add a trigger on the last slide of every topic stating: Adjust variable Topic1Completed =True when timeline starts etc.
  4. add a trigger on the last slide of every topic stating: change state of next button to normal when timeline starts on a condition Topic1Completed equals True plus Topic2CompletedEqualsTrue etc. until you get to 9. This should work, but remember to put this trigger under the trigger from point 3.

I hope this helps :)

Walt Hamilton
Joanna Kurpiewska

add a trigger on the last slide of every topic stating: Adjust variable Topic1Completed =True when timeline starts et

I would put this trigger at the end of the slide, so the user truly completes the content. Whatever mechanism you use to return to the grid should adjust the variable first, then make the jump.

add a trigger on the last slide of every topic stating: change state of next button to normal when timeline starts on a condition Topic1Completed equals True plus Topic2CompletedEqualsTrue etc. until you get to 9. This should work, but remember to put this trigger under the trigger from point 3.

I would only create this segment once, and would put it on the grid slide, to execute when timeline starts.

Here is a sample. The Restricted Navigation part does what I think you want. It uses custom navigation buttons, but the trigger can just as well change the state of the built-in NEXT button.

Christie Pollick

Hi, Sharon -- I see you are getting some great ideas from Joanna and Walt here! I just wanted to stop in to mention in case you were not aware, when you reply to a forum notification via email, the details in your signature are displayed publicly in the post. If you'd like to remove that info, please click here to be taken to the discussion itself, and then use the EDIT button below your reply. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.