Variables and States

Apr 30, 2019

I'm currently working on a course where I have a menu, and they can select any of the options in any order. I have transparent boxes to block out what they have already visited, but these are not showing up as needed. They are hidden at the beginning, but are supposed to switch to their normal state after the learner has viewed the content for the respective option.

Right now, I have them hooked up to a true/false variable and have tried hooking them up to change on the click as well and neither has worked. What can I do to get these working?

3 Replies
David Schwartz

Hi Alexandra,

The issue is that the triggers for setting those boxes to the normal state are set to run when the variables change. But since they've already changed on the other screens, when you come back to the menu, the triggers don't fire. Change them to run when the timeline starts on the menu, and they work.

Also, on your branched screens, the trigger to change the variable followed the trigger to return to the menu at the end of the timeline. The change variable trigger has to come first, or else it will not run before the trigger sends the user back to the menu. 

I've made those changes on the attached. You will probably also want to change how the branch back works, since right now it goes back at the end of the timeline, and the user has no control.

Alexandra Zbiegien

Thank you David! I had tried doing it when the timeline started but that wasn't working for me either until I just retried it lol. 

But thank you for letting me know about the trigger order on the menu. I had no idea that was a thing and probably explains a lot of my issues on other projects. The jumping back at the end of the timeline makes more sense in my actual project as opposed to the test file I created, but thank you for the suggestion!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.