Video encoding

Apr 19, 2018

Hi , I try to edit video on story line 360 as I try to safe my edit video I get error message "This video could not be encoded" how can I fix this problem so I can edit my video.

16 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Austeja.  It sounds like you were able to successfully add the video to your Storyline course, but after using the video editor, you saw that error message.  Is that correct?

• What type of video file was it?
  • Can you insert it into another "test" file in Storyline, edit and save the changes?

Like Joshua recommends, if you can share you .story file, I'm happy to help test!

Torsten Wille

Hi John, 

I've already createt a Ticket with one of your colleagues: Case #03332838: Video Codecs    [ ref:_00D30Txo._5004y23mNFh:ref ] and sent the files to him. But he couldn't help me :-(

Therefore i asked the community for assistance, because i guess that this is a softwarebug. All of my colleagues at my company and some people from other companies got the same error! The software-version is not important.

You can try to adjust the brightness and/or the contrast!!!  by yourself, please. 

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

I have just tested with storyline 3.70 on Windows 11

• create a new empty storyline file
  • import a 20 min mp4 file (without audio)
  • Edit Video
  • brightness +50%
  • close window
  • waiting 15 minutes "Editing Video"
  • save project
  • close storyline
  • double click on the .story file (450 MByte)
  • published to review 360

no problems

could you upload a video what causes the error when changing the brightness

Torsten Wille

Hi Jürgen,

did you save and exit the changes in the video editor window or did you just close it?

There is one more fact, which is important. I work at an insurance company and for us as "normal" users, we have generally no admin-rights on the (business-) notebooks. It's because of the VAIT! Do you have admin-rights on your machine ?

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

>did you save and exit the changes in the video editor window or did you just close it?
yes

>Do you have admin-rights on your machine ?
yes

now the test without admin-rights - Storyline 3.65 and Windows 10

• create a new empty storyline file
  • import a 2 min mp4 file (with audio)
  • Edit Video
  • brightness +50%
  • close window
  • save

=> ERROR

now the same pc "open storyline.exe" as admin

=> Storyline, stops direct after start screen

So this video function is not usable on company computer !!!

Torsten Wille

Hi Jürgen,

thanks for your tests. :-)

My IT-Collegues had testet the function either ...

@ John Morgan

... our IT-Experts found the bug (perhaps): the "encoder.exe (or encoder-5.exe)" is being copied from the "program"-directory to the "user/appdata/..."-directory and storyline tries to start it from there:

%OSDRIVE%\USERS\047584\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\ARTICULATE\STORYLINE\6EMFZKFE0W

for details see the screenshot-attachment!

Our policies don't allow the start from executable-files from the "user/appdata"-directory!!!

Please discuss this finding with your developer(s).

Do you have any solution, which fits our needs (no admin-rights)?