videos in Storyline

I couldn't decide whether this was a technical query or a discussion point, but I've plucked for discussion... Has anyone tried creating Storyline modules with videos created in PowerPoint in them?

I've recently developed one which uses ppt animations to create a slider effect in the background of a slide. When I preview it, it works absolutely fine, but when I publish it and view it in our browser at work (ie9) it doesn't view properly.

I've used ppt saved as wmv on another module, and it seemed to work fine, so I'm a bit confused as to why the video isn't showing and is just blank in ie9.

Has anyone else tried anything like this before?


Example attached (it seems to work ok in Chrome)

16 Replies
Harri C

Hi Chris,

As a general note it shouldn't matter how you created the videos, once they are in a video format that is all SL will read. Also, if possible you should try to import video files as MP4 instead of wmv.

To me it sounds like the issue lies with the browser rather than with the SL files themselves as you mentioned that Chrome works but IE9 doesn't. I'd check to make sure that the most up to date versions of flash etc are installed and that there are no security settings that might block video content.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction

Chris Fletcher

Interesting, but it doesn't explain how a project I published on the 29th works fine, but the one I published on the 31st doesn't...

I've just removed a video from the other module I was talking about, then reinserted it and now it doesn't work. I think this shows where the issue is. Up until about 2/3 weeks ago, we used an older version of Storyline, then the newer version became available and the company upgraded everyone (or made it possible to upgrade) The way in which the videos are embeded into the project must be different - most likely optimising for specific browsers, and now videos embeded in Storyline (in Updated 5) dont work with the version of ie9 we currently have.

Chris

Harri C

Hi Chris,

Oh I see, that is odd.

Have you tried swapping the videos after publish to see if it might be an issue occurring during compression. To test this open up the story content folder after publish and rename your 'original' videos with the same string of characters that SL gives it after publish then copy and paste the 'renamed original' into the folder and overwrite the compressed one. It's a fairly quick test but if you need to go down this route permanently you'll need to make sure your original videos are exactly the same height and width as the ones in SL as SL won't know how to resize/format the videos to your liking.

Also, have you tried update 6 that was released last week?

Hope this helps

Chris Fletcher

Interestingly enough, it does exactly the same in Studio, but only if you insert a video via articulate. If you insert it via ppt Insert, it seems to work ok.

Also, from what I can tell, it's not just WMVs that have this issue, so it must be down to the encoding when the videos are inserted. I tried inserting a MOV file too... I'm going to try using a video encoder and converting them to MP4 before they are inserted, to see if that makes any difference...

Chris Fletcher

Right... new tact... could it be the fact that we have Java v6 update 30 that things aren't working as they should? What version of Java should we be looking at these days for nicely working articulate experiences? I know I've had issues because of Java in the past - particularly in IE, so it seems that maybe this could be the problem...

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Chris,

I see that you're working on this case with Cleo now (# 00413545 for my reference) and that Cleo shared the following:

I uploaded them to our Web Server for testing. I tested it on my Internet Explorer v9.0.8112.16421 with Flash Player v14.0.0.145, the 3 blue boxes are moving in the background as you click the navigation buttons (left/right). (He shared a link with you for testing)

Also, please note that Articulate Storyline Update 6 is now available. It includes bug fixes, performance improvements, and HTML5 output enhancements. Click here for details.

If you still encounter the same issue, please try to install the latest Flash Player and please contact your web server administrator and make sure that the MIME type for MP4 is defined. Please refer to the link below for more information.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please upload your Storyline project file to our server for review. (Using the specific link Cleo provided).

Please feel free to let us know here and in your case with Cleo if you have any other questions or are able to determine what's occurring.

Chris Fletcher

I've just tried running it from where Cleo has uploaded it on your servers, and it works fine. I've tried moving the published documents from the folder I put them in originally, onto our network, and they work fine. so it must be something to do with that folder and the access on it. It's My Documents on my computer, but I think in the company, this is a network drive, so that must be the issue!

Chris

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Chris,

I see that you also mentioned to Cleo that you were testing the items locally, and you'll want to test from within the intended publish environment as described here. If testing locally please publish to CD. Also, since you mentioned the "MyDocuments" folder being a network drive, you'll want to ensure that when working on your files and publishing them you're working on a local drive as described here.