Viewing Articulate 360 Content in SharePoint Online

May 20, 2022

Enabling Custom Scripts in SharePoint Online

Custom scripts are now disabled in SharePoint Online for security reasons by default. As a result, Articulate content with the story.html file renamed to story.aspx in the published output that previously worked with SharePoint Online might not work anymore.

If you don't need to track learners' progress or results, check out these free or low-cost options for web hosting.

If you need to use SharePoint Online, your SharePoint admin may be able to resolve this issue by following the steps below, depending on whether or not you need access immediately. (Note that we don't provide support for either workaround.)

Enabling Custom Script via the SharePoint Admin Center

If you don't need instant access, follow these steps.

1. Go to the SharePoint admin center and sign in with your credentials.
  2. In the sidebar to the left of the page, click Settings. (If you're using the Modern admin center, click the classic settings page hyperlink at the bottom of the Settings page.)
  3. Scroll to the Custom Script section, then select the options to Allow users to run custom script on personal sites and Allow users to run custom script on self-service created sites.
  4. Click OK to save your changes. Note that this change may take up to 24 hours to appear.

Enabling Custom Script in SharePoint Online via PowerShell

For instant access, follow these steps.

1. Open Windows PowerShell with admin privileges, then run Install-Module -Name PnP.PowerShell

Installing PnP Module in Command Prompt
  2. Run this command: Connect-PnPOnline -Url <url> -PnPManagementShell (replace <url> with your SharePoint URL, which will then generate a code for you to insert in your SharePoint admin center.)

Creating Auth Code for PnP Module in Command Prompt

1. Run these commands in PowerShell: (replace the URL after -Url in the first command with the link to your static site collection, such as https://companyabc.sharepoint.com/sites/StaticSite).
    (If you need help creating a SharePoint site, refer to this article from Microsoft.)
  1. Connect-PnPOnline -Url https://yourorg.sharepoint.com/sites/StaticSite 
  2. $site = Get-PnPSite 
  3. Set-PnPSite -Identity $site.URL -NoScriptSite $false

Your SharePoint site is almost ready to host HTML files! We just need to prepare the Articulate published output for upload. Here's how.

1. In SharePoint, choose where you will locate this project. You can create a new folder or use the Documents location created by default with all SharePoint sites.
  2. Rename all the files with an .html extension in your unzipped published output folder to .aspx (keep the same file name). To do this, right-click the file and choose Rename and then replace .html with .aspx. (Most projects only need to have both the analytics-frame.html and story.html files renamed.)

Files notated with aspx change

1. Upload the published output to your SharePoint site, then click story.aspx to launch your Articulate course. This change should take effect immediately.
55 Replies
Solutions collaboratives
Tyler Braddick

As a result, Articulate content with the story.html file renamed to story.aspx in the published output that previously worke

Hi,

In our settings, custom scripts is already actived. But, despite that we follow the procedure, when we open an aspx file it is downloaded instead of being opened. An idea why it's not working for us?

Jennifer Brown

Sure. It's very simple. Just needs it's own library, and the link so people can launch it.

Actions for Storyline Author

1. Publish to Web
2. Change Story.HTML to Story.ASPX in the output folder
3. Deliver output folder to whomever can upload to SharePoint

Actions for SharePoint side

1. Create a document library just for the output
2. Place the contents of the output into the new SharePoint Library
3. Use Story.ASPX as the target file

Jennifer Brown

Jennifer Brown

I just downloaded a trial of Storyline 360 to verify that the extension change hack works like it does in Storyline 3, on SharePoint.com.

I had no problems publishing, changing the two files' extensions, uploading and playing in SharePoint.com.  I'm a SharePoint site owner and simply made a library, and added the files to the library. Maybe a total of 5 minutes work. 

If you're having issues, then I recommend making sure you are not overwriting old copies of the output folder or it's contents (either on your local computer, or on SharePoint). 

I had one of my team members who has no special access to the SharePoint site/library test it and confirmed they could play the Storyline demos. 

Storyline 360 and Post-Publishing Steps

1. Publish to Web

SharePoint.com Steps

2. Drag and drop all the contents of the output folder into the new library

3. Copy link to the Story.ASPX file

4. Use that link where you need to play the material. Link on a page, share in email, etc. The only hitch is if you put it in a location that others don't have at least read access to. 

[edited to fix typo]

Jennifer Brown

Typically SharePoint is locked down and only a limited number of people can see site contents on a site and have the ability to create libraries. If you are able to see Site Contents, and do not see +New, then you don't have the permissions to create new lists, libraries, etc.

If you use Microsoft Teams, by default that integrates with a SharePoint Team Site (basically the M365 version of SharePoint and not the same as a conventional communications site. If you can create a Team, and you can see Files, you can probably upload a Story Output folder. But again, that might be locked down.

If you do not have the capability to create a library on your SharePoint.com communications site, that is something you will need to address internally in your organization (there's usually a SharePoint Admin team, but how you contact them is internal). If your organization is not using SharePoint.com (it will be in the site URL), then it's definitely an IT/SharePoint Admin consult required situation.

Indrani Sen

Thank you.
I was able to create the library.
However, I am not able to run the scripts. It must be an IT issue.

Thank you for your help.
Best
Indrani

The content of this email and of any files transmitted may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and is intended solely for the use of the person/s or entity/ies to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error you have no permission whatsoever to use, copy, disclose or forward all or any of its contents. Please immediately notify the sender and thereafter delete this email and any attachments.

Bob Mongiovi
Jennifer Brown

Sure. It's very simple. Just needs it's own library, and the link so people can launch it.

Actions for Storyline Author

1. Publish to Web

Jennifer Brown

Hi Jennifer,

I am attempting the same with a web export from Articulate Rise.  I follow the same steps, and it works fine.  Problem is, I have embedded Storyline output within Rise, and renaming those to .aspx doesn't work.  I think I need to change where those files are being called from, but I don't see where that is.  Any ideas?

Indrani Sen

Hello Jennifer,

I am tried to follow these steps:

1. Publish to Web

However, the*aspx file tries to open itself as a notepad.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank You for your help.
Indrani

Jennifer Brown

Bob,

I don't work with Rise, but I started a trail of Articulate 360 in the last few weeks to verify some functionality, and I just tested the Rise example and didn't have any issues.

I know you said you embedded some Storyline within it, but if you can play it elsewhere, and you change the .HTML (or .HTM) to .ASPX, you shouldn't have any issues with playing on SharePoint.com

Rise export two web had two .HTML files:

* goodbye.HTML
* index.HTML

So you may need to do a search for .HTML (or .HTM) in the folder on your system and change all the results to .ASPX.

If you continue to have issues, verify your SharePoint version. SharePoint.com should work with the files, but there could be some configuration limitations. You may also want to verify any prohibited file extensions and check for them in your content folders.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer Brown

Indrani,

When changing the file extension to .ASPX, your computer is going to associate the default program, which is likely to be a text file editor like Notepad. If you go to open it on your system through windows explorer, it will open in Notepad.

When it's loaded into a folder in SharePoint, and you click on STORY.ASPX, does it play?

Jennifer Brown

Indrani,

Different platforms have different requirements. The reasons is a whole other topic. It does get frustrating.

Can you confirm that your organization uses SharePoint.com? It will be in the URL. If it's not, then you are likely using an On-Premise version of SharePoint, and that will likely require a discussion with your SharePoint Admin team.

This is a real challenge for us as instructional developers and content managers, keeping track of technology limitations. And a reason to use Articulate 360 if that's an option. It's not for my organization. So if you have to use other content management systems and learning management systems or learning record stores, keeping track of build versions, prohibited file types, life cycles, etc., becomes part of the job.