Zooming to 200% (WCAG 1.4.4) in Canvas

Nov 09, 2021

Hi All,

Newer user here, working on a portfolio course. I would like to meet WCAG guideline 1.4.4 (resize text up to 200%), which storyline indicates that it supports in its documentation (https://articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Accessibility-Conformance-Report-VPAT). However, when viewing this course uploaded in Canvas (and with accessible text turned on and fonts updated), this feature hasn't really worked out as I hoped. As you can see in the pictures, zooming through the browser (chrome) does technically change the size of the course, but it mainly increases the framing material on the page, which soon gets so large that it starts shrinking down the course content. I never get anywhere near 200% text (see my pictures of 100% and 200%). Similarly, using a browser extension to increase just the text size quickly starts cropping text as it reaches the edges of text boxes (see picture at only 150%). I wonder if I have made my life harder by omitting the player and starting with an already relatively large slide size (which means that the player's zoom feature wouldn't help)?

Is there a way to make the course load in a window without any of the framing in Canvas, which I hope would allow a true zoom to 200%? Under the player, I have selected the options to launch in new window, have no browser controls, allow user to resize, and resize browser to fill screen. Grateful for any guidance, thank you!

Best,

Paul

5 Replies
Paul Abdullah

PS: Just tried this on SCORM Cloud which does open it in a new window like I want. However, the browser zoom function changes nothing. I can change the window size (which changes the course size) but I don't think that satisfies the WCAG guideline. From where I am sitting, Storyline does not support this guideline, am I doing something wrong?

Paul Abdullah

Another thought: maybe enlarging the window to twice the original size does actually meet WCAG 1.4.4 because the text also gets correspondingly twice as large? I guess I am just looking for the official answer as to the set of circumstances under which Storyline supports this guideline, thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Paul,

With Modern Player Zoom, the content and the player should be increasing:

Storyline 360: Modern Player Zoom Makes Courses More Accessible

I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.