360 upgrade issue with markers

Nov 28, 2016

I'm working with files that were originally created in SL2 and upgraded to 360 (free trial download).  I'm unable to insert a picture (jpg file) into the marker label area despite several attempts. Any suggestions? (File attached)...

14 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for reaching out here and sharing a copy of your file. I was able to insert an image into the Marker text area - and just the confirm you can only insert the image within the text/description area - not the top title area. You'll need to use the Marker option for Inserting Media - and I recorded a quick Peek video of what I mean. 

If you're still unable to insert an image into the marker can you share a bit more about what happens when you try to do so? Perhaps recording a Peek of what you're seeing?

Lucy Diamond

Hi Ashley, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply but it's still not
working. I wasn't in the title area when I tried to insert the image. When
I was using SL2, the image went straight into the ​text/description area,
no problem, as did a video, etc. The image also was automatically sized to
fit within the interior of the box. What's happening with 360 is I went to
Insert/Picture and the imported picture filled most of the screen area and
the marker text area was not visible at all. I used the same file that I
uploaded to the eLearning Heroes website, so that isn't the problem. Maybe
it has something to do with when I downloaded the free trial of 360? I'm
not familiar with Peek...

Lucy Diamond

Could  you possibly check the format painter? That doesn't appear to be working either. I tried adding a shape (the bevel to the right of London on bottom of screen), selecting London (which has a number of different states), going to the Home tab, clicking the format painter, and clicking the new shape (with the little paintbrush). From what I understand, the formatting (color and states) should carry over to the new button. When I follow those steps, nothing happens. Please help! The only thing I can think to do is to try to remove and then try to re-install 360 but since it's a free trial, I don't think I can do that...

Lucy Diamond

Yay! I was able to resolve the problem with the format painter in 360. I didn't realize that I had to go back to EDIT STATES (even though London was selected) and select "Normal" to be able to get the format painter to work and carry over the London button attributes to the new button.

Still need help with the other issue - why imported pictures won't go into the marker text box area...

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lucy,

Did you watch the video I shared recording the behavior I saw? If you don't choose to insert the media from within the Marker format tab it'll insert it on the entire slide not specific to the marker. 

Peek is one of the many tools within Articulate 360 and allows you to conduct screen recordings. Super helpful for figuring out an issue like this. Here is some general information on Peek. 

Lucy Diamond

Hi Ashley, I reviewed your Peek video but the problem was not due to selecting the title area of the marker label - I was well below it. It's because I was going to Insert Picture, but  I noticed that for some reason your taskbar looked different. I've attached what mine looks like. I don't see where to select a picture from the media area (just a video or web object). Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I don't know what I'm missing here?... Thanks for the link to Peek.

Lucy Diamond

​Hi Phil, Thanks for your response to my question but I'm not seeing
Marker/Tools on the toolbar in 360. Also, I have to select Insert to even
be able to see the Marker icon on the toolbar. I added a screenshot of my
toolbar as an attachment. Did you happen to see that? Could you possibly
explain where I can find the Marker tools that will enable me to add the
picture?

Lucy Diamond

Hi Ashley,

Phew, problem solved!! One more step involved from my end: when I select
the marker, a selection appears called Marker Options (far left side of
toolbar), and when I click the drop-down, I see "Media" and when I select
that drop-down, I can find "Picture from File." Not the most intuitive
series of steps... Thank you so much for resolving this issue for me ☺

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.