Course File Size - Can I build multiple 100 MB .story files with HTML 5 page (Index) without any delay on each screen?

Aug 02, 2016

Hello Everyone, 

We are preparing an eLearning syllabus for class 1 to 4 in Storyline 2 for a local schools.

Course Structure: There are total 4 stds and in each standard there are 4 to 5 subjects. In each subject there are around 50 to 60 topics and each topic is about 10 screens (around 20 slides storyboard).

Development scenario: Our designers are currently developing each topic in separate .story file and later they are integrating in one .story file as per subject. Each subject-wise file size is becoming of around 100 MB. (We are not using any videos and they are only plain storyline screens.) We are integrating all these subject-wise .story file through HTML 5 page (Main Index). If we calculate the total folder size including all topics (class 1 to 4) of all these files are around 15 GB approx.

So here I have three important questions those I want to resolve before completing the development part:

Questions:

Q1. Can I integrate all those subject-wise files through HTML 5 easily without any disturbance on the screen?  

Q2: Can end user students easily view each of their topics that are integrated (with HTML)? Having 15 GB published data? (No videos at all)

Q3. When my storyline development will be completed, how to provide security (serial number and password protection) to my product when I will give the product versions offline to the schools? (My friend can do this but I would need your valuable suggestions.)

Q4: Can you suggest any other standard structure to access each topic easily so that there would not be any rework for us in future?  

I am giving you a tentative file size distribution below for your understanding:

• Std 1:
    • Subject 1 (File size: 1 GB) 
    • Subject 2 (File size: 1 GB) 
    • Subject 3 (File size: 1 GB) 
  • Std 2: 
    • Subject 1 (File size: 1 GB)
  •  Std 3:
    • Subject 4 (File size: 1 GB) 
  • Std 4: 
    • Subject 4 (File size: 1 GB) 
    • Subject 5 (File size: 1 GB) 

I would be very thankful if you share your thoughts on the same so that would help me a lot to build my course or in case make any change in course structure, if needed. 

Regards,

Vijay Karkhile

ID

6 Replies
Bob S

Vijay,

I take it from the way your question is posed that you have decided NOT to use an LMS to deploy the learning. Rather you are building 4 separate 2400+ screen modules to be deployed on a server(s) somewhere.  (4 classes of 4 subjects x 60 topics x 10+ screens per topic).

Please know that this approach is not considered best-practice in the industry.

Why you would adopt that approach is your own choice.  But know that well beyond the issue of file size and delay you are going to run into huge issues with updates and maintenance; effectively having to take down and reload vast swaths of content anytime something needs changing. That will severely limit the timeliness of any updates or corrections.

Further, your approach will limit deployment options and flexibility for teacher/learner.  How will you handle knowledge testing of such vast modules?   What if a learner joins late or is already expert in one or more of the areas?

Out of curiosity, how many learners are expected to consume this content? In addition to managing the content, you will also have the challenge of managing those learners, their progress, their scores, their feedback, etc.

I can go on, but suffice it to say that nearly 10,000 screens of content absolutely demands deployment via a careful, well considered deployment strategy; typically involving a dedicated deployment platform such as an LMS.

My apologies for not providing you the kind of answer you may have been looking for, but I do hope this helps.

Vijay Karkhile

Hello Bob S, 

Thanks for the response. The end users are schools from various parts in my state. In India, internet has not provided to all those local rural schools by the government and this is the biggest limitation for LMS or online deployment. There would be many schools who will use these courses individually only for the learning purpose and there are no assessment calculation scenarios in our courses as of now. As the end users/kids are very small, we are providing multiple interactivities within the topics with the immediate feedbacks such as right or wrong. 

Earlier I had thought of using LMS but its very costly for my start-up company (6 months completed only). Even I really don't know deeply about the LMS deployment and I am learning that through various online sources.

Could you please let me know if there is any offline LMS or any other platform that we can use and provide to multiple schools embedded with our course (1st to 4th std elearning material) ?

We have decided to provide one single course where all those 2400 screens are integrated somehow (need you suggestions). There would be multiple versions of our courses which would be our offline products for multiple schools here in my state.

I understand that 2400 screens of content absolutely demands deployment via a careful, well considered deployment strategy. Only my concern is my budget. Let me know if there is any free LMS or platform that we can use. I would be very thankful if you give me some suggestions here to structure my learning material. Later once we start capturing the market, we can surely use the dedicated offline and online LMS in future. I am ready to use the LMS or any other platform, but need your suggestions.

Hope this information continues the discussion with all expert advise that you have posted. I am very thankful to you.

Phil Mayor

On your original question you cannot deliver HTML5 pages in storyline without a delay there will always be loading times between slides, with care management this can be reduced but not eliminated entirely.

Using Moodle as your LMS is not too expensive, however to deliver this nationally you will need to consider your deployment  infrastructure.

I would agree with Bob that when looking at your solution have you considered the schools that will need to download the content are they on unmetered access or do they pay by the Gb, if every pupil must access the course then 15Gb x how many pupils will be cost prohibitive.

Vijay Karkhile

Hey Phil Mayor, thanks for the response.

The basic scenario of using out eLearning product is where schools or parents will buy our eLearning material manually which we are going to give them via protected/secured CD. Once they buy that CD, we will install it on their local computer/laptop/tab/projector manually by going to each school or visiting them personally. Online availability will be in later stage after 2 years. As of now, its totally offline product.  

Bob S

Hi Vijay,

It's been a while for me but unless I misremembering, using CD ROMs to hold and transfer 15 GB worth of content is going to be it's own challenge.  As wonderful as Storyline is, creating linked multi-disc volumes is not what it's designed to do. Also guessing that anyone that's still using CD ROM is unlikely to have 15GB free storage on their local drive.  

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you (sorry!), but in any case I can't help but think your challenges for deployment are about far more than just how to organize the topics subjects/topics. You may want to step away from the Instructional Design piece for a bit until you can settle on a deployment and packaging strategy that works.... then back into that with the design.

Just my two cents and hope it helps.

Vijay Karkhile

Hey Bob, 

You are so helpful. I am also discussing this with some of experts, lets see. This is the first time that we are working project like this. Due to internet issue into rural areas, we may have to tackle with some of these types of solutions. Hope some has done the same here in this community so that would help us. At list guidance can be helpful. Let's see what happens. Again thanks!!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.