Drag and drop dilemma

Sep 02, 2020

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to use a variable to manipulate a drag and drop interaction where two of the drop items are the same and could go into either one of two different drop targets.  For example: I have three drop targets A, B, C.  Two of the drag items are titled the same because they are applicable to both A and C drop targets.  I need a way for the interaction to know that either drag item is acceptable if dropped into bucket A or C.  (So drag item 1, and drag item 2, can be dropped into either A or C and be correct).  (Articulate 360)    

3 Replies
Garth Yorko

I used a transparent Drop Target that sits over top of the Drop Bucket A and Drop Bucket C rectangles but beneath the Drop Bucket B rectangle.

I set the Drop Target Options to "Free"

Use the transparent shape as the drop target for Drag Items A and C.

Here is the published file:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/201a8582-b832-4d42-ab0f-821a74371005/review

The source file is attached

Michelle Prince

Hi Garth. Thanks for your help and the files. I failed to mention that I have six drag items in total - going into three drop zones. So unless I didn't understand your explanation, it's not working because I have 3 other drag items that need to just go into drop A, and with the transparent box covering Drop A, it's not recognizing the other three items are in the correct zone.   So instead I created a Bonus button for the learner to get their first answer done for them. When they click the bonus button it moves one of the duplicate answers to box A. This will suffice, unless they skip the bonus button, which may cause some frustration.....          

Anthony Goss

Create a pick one instead of a drag and drop. Have the correct and incorrect button off the slide. Then, create a trigger to change the state of the correct button to selected when the user clicks the submit button if all of the drag items are drop correct. Then create another trigger to change the state of the incorrect button  to selected when the user clicks the submit button if any of the drag items are drop incorrect. You’ll have to create the drop correct and incorrect states for the drag items. These are built in states so it’s pretty easy. Also, be sure you use AND for your conditions for the Correct trigger and OR for your conditions for the Incorrect trigger. Also, make sure the submit interaction trigger comes after the two other triggers. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.