How to Get More Specific Comments from SMEs in Review 360

May 16, 2023

Some of my SMEs leave long, rambling comments that are difficult to parse. As a result, I have to attempt to interpret their message, isolate the change they "might" want, and ask them for clarification. 

Yesterday, I tried sending some examples of how to write/word changes needed on a course, and that particular SME sent me an email instead and didn't even use Review 360.

Has anyone else run into this challenge with SME comments?

How do you get them to provide useful feedback that you can act on without having to ask a lot of follow-up questions? 

4 Replies
Angela Dunn

Before you send the review link have a short meeting to let them know exactly what is needed for feedback.

Use a slide as an example.

We've told our SMEs that we need specific information in the comments, like grammar or graphic changes.

If it's specific about the subject they should type out something specific.

Bianca Woods

Hi Michelle. Changing people's communication habits can be tricky. But it's absolutely possible to do with a bit of work. Angela's suggestions for working with your SMEs are great, and here are a few ideas I had for building on her thoughts.

• Sell your SMEs on why Review 360 is better for them than email. The first step is getting them to use Review 360 consistently in the first place. So sell them on what aspects of it you think they'll care about most. Maybe they'll like how much easier it is to leave feedback on the specific screen or slide of content they're discussing instead of trying to describe it in an email. Maybe they'll like seeing other reviewers' comments. Maybe they'll like having a single, easy-to-revisit record of all the feedback on a course. Lean on what matters most to them. And for those who may be nervous about using a new app, you can always record a short video tour in Peek 360 to give them an introduction to how easy it is to use.
  • Add guiding comments in Review 360 before you send the course to reviewers. Adding in your own comments is a fantastic way to continually guide your SMEs through the process. I like adding comments about what kind of feedback I'm looking for at this stage, what kind of feedback I don't need at this point, what sections are still in progress, what areas they can skip, and what questions I have for them about the content. And because this guidance is right there in Review 360, it reminds them right in the moment of what you do and don't need from them.
  • Weave in examples of the kinds of feedback you're looking for. Sometimes all someone needs is an example to follow. So consider giving your SMEs example comments (either in Review 360 or as a separate resource) so they can better understand the scope and depth of what info you need from them at this point.

Admittedly, even with these tips in place it can sometimes take a while to change SME review habits. But they will likely help out in the long run. Good luck!

Michelle Johnson

Thank you, Bianca!

These are excellent suggestions. I can include the example comments on the first screen. I know that having examples to follow is helpful for me. This makes so much sense. Why didn't I think of it?! 

I also need to think more about your idea of leaning "on what matters most to them." This is the key that I'm missing. Your examples are great. I've always wanted them to "help me help them." So, I can incorporate that too. 

I will revisit my entire workflow with working with SMEs and create more structure around the process.

In my agency, I only work with SMEs directly for a few mandatory annual courses, so I don't get consistent practice. Much of my work involves updating courses based on policy or legislation changes. 

I'm so glad I thought to reach out to this community! Thanks for the thoughtful response.