Seeking instructional designer - British Columbia
BC Water & Waste Association (BCWWA)
Is looking for an Instructional Designer
SUMMARY: BCWWA is hiring an Instructional Designer. This is initially a six month contract position responsible for creating two online instructional courses to be presented on a Learning Management System (specifics of LMS are yet to be determined). The contractor will be based in our office in Burnaby, British Columbia for the duration of the project. On successful completion of this initial six month project, BCWWA plans to contract out for further course conversions. Our plan is to develop training that is interactive and visually appealing, has audio, video and email support, and includes evaluation and feedback mechanisms.
SPECIFIC DUTIES: The successful candidate will design self paced online course materials for two existing courses. The courses are currently 2 days each (12 hours contact time) and are delivered by an instructor in a classroom format. The design strategy must be highly motivational and one that sustains the attention of students throughout the learning experience.
BCWWA will provide the following for each course:
- Microsoft PowerPoint slides of up-to-date course content
- Microsoft Word student handbook containing additional information
- Assignments and review questions
- Subject matter experts as needed
The developer will:
1. Develop highly motivational self paced online course material - including pre-instructional activities, presentation of information, practice and feedback, testing, and follow through activities.
2. Base course interaction on current theories of adult learning and results of learning research that support the full range of learning styles while using state of the art interactive multimedia instruction.
3. Develop assessments that engage the learner and measures their ability to perform the objectives of each course module. BCWWA has already created review questions for every module in the courses as well as assignments for each course. The developer will be required to design additional assessment procedures, as required, to gauge content comprehension.
4. Identify and develop instructional materials for each learning objective that support the instructional strategy. These should include using the latest online interactive multimedia, simulations, other features and Flash video.
As part of the materials development, instructional strategy, media and interactions will be evaluated for their functionality, ease of use, and instructional validity. As many of our clients may not have access to high-speed internet connections, course material and interactions should be optimized for slow connection speeds. The online course material should also be accessible to a wide variety of browser software, including older versions (Internet Explorer 6-8, Firefox, Mosaic, and Safari).
Knowledge, Skill & Ability
1. Efficient knowledge of e-learning authoring tools internet technologies, and LMS systems.
2. Specific experience using Articulate Pro Studio and sound editing software
3. Advanced Microsoft and Adobe Creative Suite skills desirable
4. Advanced LMS administrative user desirable
5. Ability to organize and prioritize work with minimal direct supervision
6. Ability to create, plan, make decisions, solve problems, and work well under pressure.
7. Ability to maintain effective working relationships and exhibit professionalism in interactions with internal and external customers.
8. Excellent communication skills with ability to write in a clear, unambiguous manner.
Education and Formal Training
Bachelor’s degree in education, distance learning, instructional design, business or related field required. A master’s degree is preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute master’s degree.
1. Minimum three years demonstrated experience in the field of e-instruction. This could include course development, online training, instructor-led training, and/or adult learning principles.
2. Experience using Articulate Pro Studio, and sound editing software desirable.
3. Experience in the water/wastewater industry or related field helpful.
4. Experience working with associations helpful.
The contractor will be required to work out of the BCWWA office for the duration of this contract.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION
· Starting date: As soon as possible
· Full time (37.5 hours/week); 8am - 4pm
· Compensation will be commensurate with experience
How to Apply
If this sounds like the job for you, please send to email@example.com:
1) A covering letter and resume that shows how your education, training and experience meet our requirements for this work.
2) At least three specific examples and samples of similar work you have completed.
3) Names and contact information for at least three clients you have completed work for within the past 2 years.
4) An indication of your expected compensation for this 6 month contract.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
For more information about our organization, visit www.bcwwa.org. We thank all those interested for their time and care in submitting applications but regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please.