Forum Discussion

ChristophSchmol
Community Member
5 months ago

Audio segments overlap during playback

I have prepared a training course in which many slides have 3-10 audio segments arranged one after the other in the timeline. The customer now tells me that there are frequent one-second audio overlaps during playback. They seem to disappear when the slide is played back a second time. I cannot reproduce this behavior on my system. What could I do to prevent these effects from occurring?

Thank you!

• The problem is more extensive than expected: As it turns out, audio tracks are often out of sync by up to 2 seconds. This means that triggers that are activated when an audio track completes, often fire at the wrong position, messing up my entire timeline. The audio files are tiny, 20-100 KB in size (44kHz, 56kbps), so it's hard to believe it's a caching issue.

What could I do to avoid that problem?
    If no solution is found, the entire months-long project is in jeopardy.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Christoph!

Glad to see Tom has been helping you!

I noticed that you've also opened a support case and connected with my teammate, Cleober. It looks like Cleober replied to your e-mail sharing additional insight on this issue.

We can continue troubleshooting through your case to keep all information in one spot.

• Unfortunately, the support team has not yet been able to offer a solution to the problem. If anyone else has a good tip on how to get the audio synchronization problem (which is most likely due to a caching issue in the Storyline player) under control, I would be extremely grateful! We are under tremendous time pressure.

This is what keeps happening:

• The first audio track on a slide (or the first one you hit when jumping into a slide using the seek bar) almost always starts 1-5 seconds too late and overlaps with the following audio segments. All other audio tracks on the slide are in sync, ruling out a global audio legacy issue.
    • The problem usually does not occur when the slide is restarted immediately afterwards. However, if you navigate to another chapter of the training via the TOC and then return, the issue reappears.

• After extensive testing, we can rule out that the Internet connection or the browser used are factors in this problem. Everything seems to point to a caching problem where the playback of the slide starts before all relevant data has been fully loaded into memory.

• I've already tried reducing the bitrate and sample rate of the audio files.
      I've also tried turing off compression in the Storyline audio settings.
      Nothing helped.
  • Sorry to bring this up again, but could staff members in here please further escalate support case #00851779? It's been a week since we last heard from support despite several requests. And over a month since we've brought up this critical Storyline bug. During this time, not a single solution was proposed to us that would have brought us any closer to solving the problem. This is extremely frustrating!

KellyAuner
      Staff

Hi Christoph,

Thanks so much for following up on this and I apologize for any inconvenience. I checked your case, #00851779, and see my teammate has requested a web conference to continue troubleshooting. You can reply directly in your case to quickly get that meeting arranged. Thanks again for your cooperation while we work through this!

• Our team is experiencing this bug as well - along with other audio bugs, such as audio starting over when the timeline is resumed, and an audio delay of 10-15 seconds on some slides.

If it helps for troubleshooting, we're only Recently experiencing these audio issues in courses that are still being edited and published in the November (3.81) version. We're fairly certain it was NOT happening in those same courses edited and published in that same November version until a few months ago. 

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Renee,

Happy to check this for you!

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or privately by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening in your project? We'll delete it when we're done testing!