Forum Discussion

MegStorey
Community Member
8 months ago

black lines on edge of mp4's imported into Storyline

Hello, I've searched here for possible answers to an issue I'm encountering with imported videos/mp4's in my Storyline course.  
When I preview the slides, many of the videos which I've cropped or re-sized to only take up a portion of the screen have black lines usually either on the bottom or right hand side of the video or both.  

I did find a discussion here where it was explained that the dimensions need to by divisible by 8, but even when I try to crop or re-size the mp4 to these dimensions divisible by 8 I'm still encountering the problem.  I am creating the animations in a graphic design software called KeyShot (which I'm fairly new to), and most of these are rendered at 1920 x 1080 but when I import the video into Storyline, it automatically converts it to the size of my story screen which is 1365 x 768.  

I have moments when I think I've fixed the issue, but then later I see the lines again.  

• Hi. 
    I tried scaling on my end, and it doesn't change anything.  I am using Edge and noticed that if I scale the browser to a different size, the black line on the edge would go away.  This still not ideal when the courses are normally being viewed at 100% browser size.

LucianaPiazza
      Staff

Hi Ted, 

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you're experiencing. I've gone ahead and opened a support case on your behalf. One of our talented Support Engineers will be in touch shortly via email. We appreciate your patience. 

We'll continue the conversation over in your case. 

• Hi Meg!

Happy to help with this!

It would be easier to assist if we could have a closer look at the .story file that's been giving you trouble. Are you comfortable sharing a copy here in the discussion or privately through a support case?

In the meantime, my teammate Joe shared a troubleshooting step in a related thread you may find useful.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Was there a solution to this? I am encountering the same issue.  I ended up having to manually add lines on the other sides of the video creating a 1-pixel frame around the video.  I don't want the frame, but it was the only way to make it look like the lines were supposed to be there.  I also tried laying a box over the unexpected lines to cover them with the same color as the background and that did not work.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Andrew!

Sorry to hear you've also run into this setback!

If you're comfortable sharing your .story file, I'd be happy to take a closer look to see what adjustments can be made. Feel free to upload it here in the discussion or privately through a support case.

We'll delete it from our system as soon as troubleshooting is complete!

• Was there any solution for these posts? Could you please update with proposed fix?

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello C Parkins, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. 

We are currently monitoring a bug where black lines appear around a video if the edges of the video and player background are white when the scaling setting is set to more than 100%. As a troubleshooting step, please adjust the scaling of your monitor to a value equal to or lower than 100%, and let me know if this changes anything.

To change the scaling, right-click anywhere on your Desktop, select Display Settings, and modify the Scale option.

If changing the Scale value doesn't work, please share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can check what's causing the black lines to appear in your video. We'll delete it when we're done testing!

• I'm not seeing any remedy with scaling to 100%. I'm seeing lines on two sides of the video and scaling only removed one line. I'm opening a support case.

LucianaPiazza
      Staff

Hi Rob, 

Hope that you're having a great start to your week! Great call opening a case. I see that you're working with our colleague Mark. You're in excellent hands! 

We'll continue the conversation in your specific support case as well.