Forum Discussion

AbnerNoriega-82
Community Member
2 months ago

Custom seekbar with dragging function

Hi!

I want to build a custom seek bar that allows the learner to drag back and forth the timeline in the slide. I really am not looking for a progress bar (which I have found plenty of examples in the community).

I have custom buttons and also I currently work with cue points to make a similar effect, but a custom seek bar would suffice better.

Can someone shed a light on this? Thank you,

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Could you just use a slider for the control, and then jump to your various cue-points based on where the user moves the slider?

If you already have the cue-points set up, this would be very quick and easy to do, but work nice for all users; even those on mobile.

AbnerNoriega-82
      Community Member

Hi Andrew! Thanks, that's the way I have it currently. The issue is that the learners want to drag it freely so they can review specific part of the content, just like the built-in seek bar, but LMS  team has now a new rule that no control players are allowed (don't ask me why, no body understands it).

The reason for them to drag the seek bar is that the content is mostly compliance and security, so there are large videos or large slides and to have a lot of cue points is tiresome hahaha

(〜 ̄△ ̄)〜

Do you think is a way around this?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

So if I understand you correctly, the client wants exactly the functionality that comes from the built in seekbar.... but they dont allow the seekbar to be used.

And then they are also insisting that the slider control has exactly the same functionality to scrub the timeline backwards and forwards??!

....clients! XD

So, the only way you could do this is to record YOURSELF using the slide, and then import that recording in to a blank slide. If you set the VIDEO SETTINGS to  show controls under the video, then you will get a perfect seek bar in the slide itself.

Thats the only way. :/

AbnerNoriega-82
      Community Member

Yup, they are complaining that with the current slider + cue points they go back longer than what they want or ahead of the point they want. With the seek bar functionality they can move freely.

It looks like since they are using Captivate with other vendors, they don't want "custom players" so it will "keep consistency"... you know, Clients being clients.

Thank you so much for your insights.