Forum Discussion

DavidStafford-2
Community Member
3 months ago

Embedded Online pdfs displaying inconsistently in Rise block

Hi there, 

I notice with an embedded online pdf in a Rise block, sometimes it will display, other times it won't. This is unhelpful to the students. Is there some way I can mitigate this? I know I can use an attachment block, but I'd like the students to be able to navigate the pdf in the Rise course. 

Thanks!

• Hi Kendal,

The real pickle here is it's not consistent. The pdf might load, it might not, but load next time the course is accessed, or it might never load. it might load for me, but not for you. It happens with multiple different online pdfs.

• I'm having this issue too. It works but not consistently. We just tested all our courses in our LMS and 3 of the PDFs wouldn't show but if you click of and clicked back it did show. Which isn't great. If they find a fix that works 100% of the time let me know!

DavidStafford-2
      Community Member

That's the main issue. Embed load failure isn't consistent in whatever browser I am using, on whatever device I am testing on. I have cleared caches and cookies, reinstalled browsers and tried it with and without using iframe code, but the results are the same. They may load, they may not.

• Hi David,

I think Victoria Blacik provided the answer in a previous post. Here it is:

Just figured out a bit of a cheat to embed a pdf in a course.

1. Upload your PDF as a file attachment to your Rise course.

2. Right click on the download link in the file attachment box and copy the link address.

3. Insert an "Embed" block and use the copied link as the url.

• David,

Then I am not sure what issue you are having. I tried it with a Rise course and it worked perfectly for me the first time.

Other quick thoughts are:

Is there might be a security setting on your PDF that requires a password to view?

Is there something in the naming convention of your PDF that is causing an issue?

To test both of these, you might try creating a simple pdf and just naming it "PDF" and try again, if you haven't already tried something like this.

Otherwise, perhaps you will have to submit a support request to Articulate.

• Hi David, 

Great call opening a support case regarding the PDF's you'd like to include in your Rise course! I see that you're working with my colleague Luiza. You're in excellent hands! 

We'll continue the conversation over in your case!

Have a great start to your day!

• I'm having this issue, too. I can confirm it is inconsistent, it happens on multiple browsers and devices, and none of the following approaches seem to help:

• Using the direct URL
    • Using an iframe wrapper
    • Using Kendal's cheat (above)

Until there's a fix, I've just added a button link directly above the embed directing learners to the page if it doesn't display. It disrupts the flow of the lesson page, but is the best alternative I have for now. Looking forward to a fix!

KellyAuner
      Staff

Hi Jules,

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Although you've come up with a workaround, I've opened a support case on your behalf so we can take a closer look at what's going on. You'll be hearing from one of our Support Engineers soon via email!