Forum Discussion

HeatherVogt-d32
Community Member
2 months ago

LMS not reporting Storyline 360 Correct/Incorrect response but reports Captivate C/IC response

Hello, friends! 

I built a project in SL360 with a single Multiple Choice question that was supposed to communicate a single Correct or Incorrect response to our LMS (Cornerstone), but it's not working! Our LMS isn't reporting the Correct or Incorrect response.

Oddly enough, the same build in Captivate communicates to our LMS.

That tells me the problem is my SL360 build or Publish settings:

Trigger is set to submit Multiple Choice.

Any idea what's happening here?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Heather, I think I agree with you that the problem most likely lies in your publish settings. 

Storyline definitely works OK with cornerstone LMS so that's a good start!

Unfortunately in your screenshot it doesn't say anything about your reporting or tracking options.

Can you detail those out here?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

You've got it spot on Heather! :)

Without a Results slide, the data from your question is lost. The Results slide is effectively a bucket, grabbing and holding on to, all our question based data and sending it to the LMS automatically. 

The good news is that I can see you are already targetting SCORM 2004 3rdEd. and that means your Results data will be stored and not ignored.

HeatherVogt-d32
      Community Member
      Andrew Hanley

You've got it spot on Heather! :)

Without a Results slide, the data from your question is lost. The Results slide is effectively a bucket, grabbing and holding on to, all our question based data and sending it to the LMS automatically. 

The good news is that I can see you are already targetting SCORM 2004 3rdEd. and that means your Results data will be stored and not ignored.

When you say "Results data will be stored and not ignored" do you mean after the Results slide is put in? Since the Results slide isn't in the project, the data is currently ignored?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Yes exactly.

Without a Results slide you have no "bucket" to store the question data. Therefore it's lost.

That's why it's always good practice to include a Results slide, even if you don't intend to show it to a user.

• Hi Heather,

It looks like Andrew has you covered.

I just wanted to add that you can set multiple tracking criteria. If you tick both the "Slides Viewed" and "Quiz Result" criteria, Storyline sends the completion based on whichever is completed first. The user doesn't need to complete both to mark the course as completed.

However, if your course is designed so that the quiz is the last slide, completing the quiz might also mean that the user has viewed all the slides. Thus, just tracking the completion with the quiz result while setting the passing score to 0%, as Andrew suggested, should be enough.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

HeatherVogt-d32
      Community Member

Thanks for the response, John Carlo!

My project has the "quiz" in the middle and it's not needed for completion; it's just a consent question and no one *needs* to answer that. 

However, all the content - principles and an attestation - has to be viewed.

In that instance, it sounds like I'd have completion marked only when 100% of the slides are viewed, with the "quiz" (consent) having a Results slide that's not visible to users but acts as a bucket for the LMS to capture Correct (consent) or Incorrect (doesn't give consent) responses. I wouldn't have multiple tracking options, just the slides viewed. 

Is that correct?

• Thanks for getting back to me. Here they are:

The intention was to have Completion tied to slides viewed and then the MC reported as just a part of the build (in other words, not tied to Completion).

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Thanks Heather.

So one thing I can see is in your original post you stated that you wanted the single question slide to set the Complete/Incomplete status.

From the Tracking Options I can see that there is no quiz results slide, and therefore Storyline won't report complete/incomplete based on this.

To fix this, you need to add a Results slide for this one question. Set the Passing Score to whatever you want (0% if there is no passing score).

Finally, in your Tracking Options, ensure the "When the learner completes a quiz" is ticked, and the "When the learner has viewed" is unticked.

Hopefully with that done, your SCORM package should now report correctly to the LMS.

Let us know how you get on! ;)

HeatherVogt-d32
      Community Member

I'm sorry for the miscommunication.

I'd like Completion to be marked by slides viewed and the MC question to just report to the LMS; the question is not tied to completion.

To make the question reportable to the LMS do I need a results slide maybe?