Continue block not working with embedded Storyline block containing Video and Quiz

Apr 17, 2023

I have created an embedded Storyline block with a "Complete the content above before moving on" continue block.

The Storyline block has an embedded video. Once the video has been watched the next button becomes available where users are taken to a quiz slide and are prompted to enter a video code. Once they submit the correct code they are taken to the results page. Essentially, I do not want them to see the results page so I added an additional layer to the already existing success layer. If the user entered the code correctly, I have a trigger set to show Success Layer 2 when timeline starts on this layer (original success layer). I also have Complete course as Complete/Passed when timeline starts on this layer (original success layer). 

When publishing the Storyline to Review 360, I have set the tracking set to Use Triggers (e.g.'complete course'). Theoretically, I was hoping once the user reached Success Layer 2 on the embedded storyline, the block would be recognized as finished allowing the continue block to be enabled. How do I get the Continue block to recognize the Storyline block as complete?

13 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello DeAnn,

Thanks for reaching out!

It looks like you already setup your Storyline 360 block according to this article: 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your Storyline 360 project file here or in private by opening a support case so I can test how it behaves when embedded in a Rise 360 course? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

DeAnn Bronkhorst

I believe I have solved the issue by moving the course completion trigger to  Success layer 2. It was also a bit confusing because the functionality of the continue button only works as intended when in the "Preview" mode. I was trying to preview in the edit mode, thinking the continue button would function as expected. It may have been working this whole time for all I know.

DeAnn Bronkhorst

Although the course is functioning as intended, I am not able to get the course to send 100% to the LMS. The course only appears as completed showing a 0%. How do I need to set up the course tracking to allow the block to complete, as well as send a completion of 100% to the LMS. 

I have read through the basic functions of the LMS tracking in storyline & the publishing features but am very new to understanding the complexities of how they operate together.

DeAnn Bronkhorst

Currently, on the Storyline file question slide I have "Submit Fill in the Blank when user clicks submit" for a trigger; on the results slide I have "Submit results 1.3 Quiz Results when the timeline starts" as a trigger (hopefully sending users 100% score to the LMS); the user is automatically taken to Success Layer two of the results slide which contains the trigger "Complete course as Completed/Passed When timeline starts on this layer" (triggering the continue block to allow the user to continue with the rest of the course).

For storyline publishing, I have the Review 360 tracking set to Multiple tracking options, with "When Learner completes a quiz" (1.3 quiz final assessment) & "Using Triggers options" selected. for the Storyline LMS I have the report status set to Pass/Incomplete (not sure if I actually need to have this to publish correctly to Rise).

For Rise 360 LMS publishing, I have the "Track using Storyline block" option selected with the review 360 bock selected for the uploaded storyline file. 

Users are required to complete the entire training, but I want their score to be based on the storyline block quiz slide.

Phil Mayor

You will need a graded question, I suspect you might be using a using a survey question. To send a score it needs a graded question (if I am wrong see my next answer). You will also need to uncheck the multiple tracking options as for the LMS it will Only report the first one that is achieved, in this case I suspect it is the complete course trigger. That should send a score.

Sent from my iPhone

Jose Tansengco

Hi DeAnn, 

To clarify, are you trying to get your embedded Storyline 360 quiz in a Rise 360 course to send its score to your LMS? If so, note that embedded Storyline 360 courses cannot communicate with LMSs because they lack the necessary configuration files. Embedded Storyline 360 courses function similar to courses that have been published to web, and therefore are unable to send quiz data to an LMS.