No Audio on mobile devices

Mar 19, 2018

We're running into a weird issues with Review, where the audio to the slide doesn't play but the slide will continue to play even though there's no audio. That has happened multiple times, and a few times the audio was playing fine on one slide and the next slide it was like muted and we couldn't get it to come on.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

15 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi KC,

It's not something I'm familiar with, but I'd love to gather a bit more info from you to troubleshoot! 

• What mobile devices and browsers are you viewing the Review course on? 
  • Are some slides playing audio, and some aren't - in the same course? Or you've seen this in different courses?
  • Did you publish to Review from Rise, Storyline, or Studio? 

Can you include the Share link here for us to take a look at too? 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Matthew and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thank you for contacting us and sharing what you are experiencing with your published course.

I do not see any further conversation or support cases for any of the users above to provide any additional insight or solution.

Do you know what version of Storyline you're using?

You can check by going to:
Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.41.22450.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Ren Gomez

Hi Nell,

Thanks for letting us know what you're running into. Can you hear audio at all, or does it start as expected, and then cut out?

Are you comfortable with sharing your .story file for testing? You can share it publicly here, or privately with our support engineers. We'll delete it when we nail down what's going on!

Caddi Ranyard

One of my colleagues reported no sound on her laptop from the published scene.  On checking, I had the same issue on my laptop.  After using review to test that,  the only way I could get sound at all on my laptop was to reboot.  I thought it was a one off but whenever I go into Review my sound is disabled.  The setting on the laptop then only allows headphones (not the internal speaker)  A reboot brings the speaker back to life.  It does only happen when I go into Review 360.  

The laptop is quite locked down as it is a company PC.

Using review on my PC causes no issues and I can hear the sound on the project in Review.  That is my workaround at the moment but I wanted to let you know.

Katie Riggio

Hi Caddi,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. I know rebooting your laptop each time isn't ideal, so I'd love to help find a fix!

• Which browser and version are you using to view the Review 360 content?
  • Would you mind sending the Share link so I can test it in a similar environment? You can use this link to share it privately.
Robbie Christian

I am having the same issue. 

1. I have one project that is audio only (like a podcast episode).  I cannot get the audio to play on an iphone in Safari, but the timeline does work perfectly otherwise.  Everything including the audio works on a desktop.
  2. I have another project that has mixed results.  The audio on the home screen's video does not play on mobile, but the rest of the project's video files have audio that plays fine.
  3. third project has no video but the audio files set to play when a user clicks on a button does not work on mobile.

I'm on the latest update of Articulate360 and I just ran a software update on my iphone this morning.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Robbie!

Thank you so much for listing each of these issues out! I tested each Review 360 link on an iPhone 11. The audio played when the ringer was turned on. If the ringer is in silence mode, the audio won't play. 

If you turn the ringer on, can you hear the audio on all projects too?

Robbie Christian

Thanks! That solved almost everything.

On this project, what you see is a stock video of fish without audio, and I've placed a video behind it that has the audio I want. the audio plays great on a desktop, but for one reason or another, it won't play on mobile. Your solution solved everything else (and elicited a facepalm on my end), but I can't figure out why the audio on that title page won't play. Any ideas?

Lauren Connelly

Hello Robbie!

I'm seeing the same on my end with the first video of the fish is playing without audio! Have you tried converting the video with the audio to .mp3 and then importing just the audio rather than the video?

If you are comfortable sharing the file, I'm happy to take a look! You can attach the .story file to this public discussion or upload it privately in a support case.

Lastly, no need for a facepalm! Simple fix that I'm happy I could help with.

Christina Brown

Hi!

We're running into the same issue with audio not playing in Review 360 on mobile devices but playing fine on desktop/laptops.

We turned the ringer on an iPhone, and the audio played as expected. However, if the device is connected to a Bluetooth headset/earbuds, the audio will not play.

We have been using Review 360 for several years and never had this issue. Any ideas why this is occurring and how to fix it?