Uploading a New Version of a Video

May 11, 2017

I am working on a few videos. I received comments and I make the changes. Now I want to upload the newest version of the video and keep all my comments and simply update the version. Is this possible?

If not, that would be an EXTREMELY helpful feature.

79 Replies
Dave Cox

I agree, we need a way to update the new version of videos. I create my videos using AfterEffects. I often use the video in Storyline when finished, but often I need to get the reviews on them before I import into Storyline, and would very much like to be able to update the video rather than just uploading a new version.

Steven Croft

A workaround I use is to have a SL one slide course containing just the video. It can play automatically if you wish or have a control bar. Then the team can comment on the video as a course and you can re-import the edited video to the course and re-upload to the course location. Then, when everyone is happy, use the video in the course wherever/however you want!

Jeremy Nash

Interesting.  Do you know, when inserting a video to a slide in SL and uploading that slide are the reviewers comments timestamped to the cue location of the video on that slide?

I'll test this but just wondering if you know off the top of your head. What I like most about the direct video upload is that comments are timestamped to the cue location of the video. This makes reviewing comments and edits super efficient. 

Dave Cox

Hi Jeremy,

That is a great question, and that depends on how you insert the video into the slide.

I always insert the video into the slide without controls, and use Storyline's slider to control the video's progress. With this method, you will not see the time of the video when the comments are made. I've found two work arounds for this. You can either turn on the video control under the video which will show the time stamp, or you can encode the timestamp into the video. Neither of these methods will allow the comments to record the timestamp, so you are depending on the reviewer to tell you where in the video that they are making their remarks about. This is why I prefer to upload the video and have the review completed on just the video file. This allows the comments to be logged to the correct time in the video.

Jeremy Nash

Yeah, it does seem like a popular ask. At the same time, I'm mindful that the original purpose of Articulate Review is to review content created with Articulate tools.  The fact that we can upload a stand alone video we create using other tools is a bonus.

It's a GREAT bonus and it would be FABULOUS if the versioning logic used for SL content could be applied. But having worked in software development I know it's usually not as simple as it seems and you can't necessarily duplicate features to other components.  I'm sure they need to prioritize features that serve Articulate native software over the video upload.  But hopefully this will advance some day.

In the meantime, I appreciate the workaround suggestions from all. 

Jerry Beaucaire

We use Articulate Review for all review internally and externally of new courses, we recently noticed and started using the UPLOAD VIDEO option since we have some courses completely authored in Camtasia.  

So sad that as soon as we sent out those links to colleagues and customers, we had to give them all new links for every update/version.  A little embarrassing with the customers.

Please, I am not sure what the hurdles are to adding an "Upload New Version" to the options menu, but since this has been asked for over and again for many years, please consider putting it in.   Without out, the usefulness of this great feature is, well, minimized.  (politeness)

Cheers.

Henry Meadows

+1 on upload new version of videos.  We're creating some in Premiere Pro and have been using DropBox for this.  I wanted to standardized all reviews through Articulate 360 since we may be losing access to DropBox but with having to send new links to updated videos each time, it is very difficult to manage versioning. 

Steven Croft

Hello all, I'll share again my workaround for this:
"A workaround I use is to have a SL one slide course containing just the video. It can play automatically if you wish or have a control bar. Then the team can comment on the video as a course and you can re-import the edited video to the course and re-upload to the course location, so it becomes a new version. Then, when everyone is happy, use the video in the course wherever/however you want!"

If a reviewer comments a screengrab is automatically generated with the comment to guide you to the location in the video.

Andrea Gillette

Yes - manually uploading videos created in Vyond (fka GoAnimate) which will be pieces of a RISE course. I prefer to get feedback per video, each uploaded manually, instead of waiting until the end of the development of a RISE course to tell me that various videos need work. 

Thank you! 

Jewels Dymond

Ms Stream allows you to update the video, and it makes it the best to work with. I wish review was the same. I uploaded a video and it's been sent out and shared, now people want changes, but the departments where the link was sent to is playing the old link. It's too confusing to send multiple links.

This issue was suggested a year ago, and still nothing?

Maybe for the time being, you could put a pop message that tells people, if you upload video it cannot be updated, for updating we recommend publishing the video through storyline so that any changes can autoupdate to a new ver, or something. If I knew that, I wouldn't have uploaded a video.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone.

I have great news to share!

We just released an update for Review 360. In this update, we’ve included the following feature:

Manually Upload Video Versions - Click here for additional information.

Since Review 360 is a web app, there's nothing to install! New features and fixes are available immediately.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.